Sunday, January 25, 2009

Weekend Recap - Skiing, Falling, Running

Saturday: A freezing and not exactly fun day of cross country skiing. It was -19C, sunny, and (by all accounts) should have been fun to go skiing, but it simply didn't work out that way. One of the reasons for this is that the wax on my skiis was not working, despite the fact that I specifically chose one for this temperature and spent the evening before cleaning and preparing our skiis. The uphills were hell, and even the flats were tough going since there was no grip with which to push forward. I set out on the Sochi 12km trail, but cut off the last loop and managed a pathetic 10.7k in a terribly slow 1 hour 22 minutes. I also fell a couple of times on my left hip on account of the rock hard, frozen snow (no way to dig the edges of my skiis into this ribbed concrete like substance when transferring from one set of tracks to another at trail merging points) and my general lack of equilibrium. It hurt quite a bit at the time, especially the second time I fell on it, and definitely hurts today.

Sunday: Despite the hip I decided that this bruise was not going to derail my plans for a run. It was -10C and sunny, and as I found out rather windy, as I headed out for my planned 8k. I wasn't sure how the hip, or the knee for that matter, would react and I was ready to bail if these started to hurt too much. In the end the run went ok, and I was relatively pain free. At about the 3.5k mark I ran past a park where the boys were supposed to be sledding with Mon, but they had already bailed by then. As I started up Broadview Ave. I found out why - it was WINDY as hell! The wind blew right through me and I was chilled despite the fact that the hill also spiked my heart rate up into the 150s.

Overall, it was a fun run though. I managed the 8k in 47:45, for an average pace of 5:58/km and heart rate of 144bpm. This was right on target for what I want to be doing at the moment, and that made me feel good - I didn't speed up on account of the cold simply to get the run overwith and to warm up!

Garmin don't lie.


View Larger Map

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger BeachRunner said...

That kinda sounds like fun. You are a trooper for getting out in those conditions. Hope the hip feels good.

January 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger Brianna said...

Glad you were able to get in a run despite the hip - and that you enjoyed it! Best wishes with your 10K goal this year.

January 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home