Sunday, January 18, 2009

Catching up on a great weekend of skiing and running

Not much time to write a lengthy post, so I will just be brief and update what I did as far as exercise goes...

Saturday morning was freezing when we piled in the car at 7:45am, a nose hair stiffening -17.4C (I think that's right around zero on the "alternative" scale...). We were layered up and ready for some x-country skiing.

My Mom came with us and she took Malks for his class, giving Monica and I a chance to hit the trails together for the first time this season. We chose the Sochi trail, which I did last week. It was a fun and decently tiring 12 kilometres.

After lunch Owen wanted to try the 8k Nagano trail with me, so off we went, this time with my Mom joining us. Unfortunately, the little guy was pretty tuckered out after his two-hour class and didn't make it very far before saying he was ready to head back. We managed a slow 2.7 kilometres together.

After dropping Owen off at the lodge, I was able to hit the trails on my own and I chose the Nagano trail since I figured 8 kilometres was enough after skiing 15k up to that point. This was a tough go for me as I totally ran out of gas at about the 3k mark, absolutely no strength left in my arms and I was totally sucking air. I did manage to finish the 8.5 kilometres in about 51 minutes, and the total for the day amounted to 23.3K, a couple more than the Half Marathon!

Needless to say, when we got home I was totally wiped. Luckily we missed the snow that was starting to fall as we drove home...

Which brings us to this morning. We woke up to about 15cm of snow on the ground, and decided to get out there to shovel it as a family, then head out to a local restaurant for breakfast. If shoveling snow can be fun, this was and we managed in good time and spirits.

After dropping the boys off at their grandfather's place for the afternoon, Monica and I hit the snow-covered sidewalks for our run. The going was slow and sloppy, but we managed the planned 7 kilometres in a slow'n'steady 49:16, translating to a slushy pace of 7:01/km.

And that completes my weekend of working out. Now I have a LOT of laundry to do!!! (and some football to watch...)

Garmin don't lie.


View Larger Map

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

That's pretty impressive!

January 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Ummmmmmm anytime I see the words "nose hair stiffening" that's a sign to stay inside HAHA

January 18, 2009 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Good for you! I'd be wiped too!

January 19, 2009 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Nice work, dude. Way to go.

January 19, 2009 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It looks like you got in some great runs in spite of the weather. Great job!

January 19, 2009 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

X-country has always been on my Want To Do list but, sadly, has never made it to reality for me.

January 20, 2009 at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home