Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Snowy day to tie a shoe, then shove it in my mouth...

We've been getting more wet snow than you can shake a stick at, and it looks like some back breaking shoveling is in the cards... Given that there's nothing more annoying that your shoelaces coming untied when you are in a groove throwing snow off to the side (or running for that matter), I was intrigued to learn that I've been tying my laces wrong my entire life!

Based on this video from RunnersWorld.com I've learned that what I've been doing since I was a little kid is called a "granny knot". Instead, I have to change the last step of the process to achieve the desired "reef knot" for comfort and (apparently) more security. I haven't really had any issues with my knots coming untied, but I'll try and use this better knot from now on and see what happens.

On a funny note, as we were walking our younger one to school this morning we passed by this Ford Aerostar van that's had a sign in the window for months advertising that is is "For Sale - $1000. No reasonable offer will be refused." Of course the only "reasonable" offer for this hunk of junk would be to give it a mercy killing, but that's another story. Anyway, as I passed by this van I commented to Monica and Malcolm, rather loudly since they were behind me and we were all wearing hoods/hats on account of the snow, "You wanna buy this crappy van???" As I finished the last two words, I passed to the far side of the van and noticed that it's current (unlucky) owner was standing there, and could totally hear what I had said! I felt a little bad, but in the end I figured this guy knew his van was crappy. No offense to any 1996 model year Ford Aerostar owners, but seriously - you can't claim that this is the pinnacle of automotive engineering or quality, can you? Also, if anyone had passed by our shitty Volkswagen Golf before we upgraded it and called it out, I probably would have laughed and agreed with them.

Tonight's push ups: Week 6 Day 2, and I was hurting! Perhaps it was the swimming, or the chin ups, or maybe the shoveling of the heavy and wet snow... I don't know, but I did not feel very strong tonight. I managed the sets OK (22-22-30-30-24-24-18-18) but was not looking forward to the max set. I completed a painful 75, but it was not pretty. The total was 263.

Also on a bit of a strange note, my ankle (the wonky one) was really hurting this afternoon. I didn't do anything that I can think of to it, but around late afternoon the outside above the ankle joint just started to ache like you wouldn't believe. I hobbled between streetcar and bus, and then home. I even did some shoveling (as mentioned above), but the pain was just awful. (My wife forced me to go inside and then, by a stroke of luck, a couple of teenagers came by and asked if they could shovel the driveway for some cash! Who knew that teens can sometimes actually be useful!!! $13 later the driveway was done - nice going Monica!) It doesn't feel so bad right now as I write this, and perhaps it was only some sort of a cramp, but I wonder what the hell is going on a little. We'll see how it feels tomorrow I guess.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger nwgdc said...

Hey! Whaddaya think you're doing? I just marked you "Marked as Read" in my Google Reader, and then you post again? Sheesh!

On behalf of the '94 Aerostar owner, I'm offended. Most people know that the '94 Aerostar actually was the pinnacle of automotive engineering. That, and the '93 Bonneville (which I drive).

Perhaps the ankle got flared up by the swimming? I had a couple patients whose ankles were really bothering them in the beginning of their swimming season from kicking. After having them concentrate a little more on kicking with their hips, the ankle issues subsided. Perhaps, after a couple days, yours will too?

January 7, 2009 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

I reckon the ankle pain was instant karma for mocking the Aerostar...

January 8, 2009 at 3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll have to let us know how the laces are. I double knot and tuck and never have any problems.

January 8, 2009 at 8:08 AM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

I hope the ankle is OK!!

January 8, 2009 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

I think he would have been mad if you HADN'T called it crappy! Crappy cars are the best! Jumped mine six times yesterday! Woot!

January 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

ROFL. Oops. Sorry about that Aerostar Guy, ummmm NOT.

January 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

ROFLMAO HAHAHAHHAHAHA Dude between this post and Nic's comment I am so dying of laughter over here. I'm sorry! HAHHAHAHAHAHAAA

January 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home