Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back in the Pooldle Again

First, I want to extend a belated congratulations to "the Dude" at The Longest Run who has completed a full calendar year of running at least one mile EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' DAY! Unbelievable!!! Can't wait to see what he'll choose as his challenge for 2009. I really hope that continuing to run is in the cards.

As for me: Yup, the first swim of the year! I wasn't sure if they would let me into the gym (since the University of Toronto's School of Graduate Studies says I graduate the moment I finish my last course and, therefore, the tuition I paid, which is enough to last me through the Winter and Summer sessions of 2009, is no longer valid. I paid a full Athletic Centre fee with my P/T fees, so I might fight for my right to use the gym until the end of the semester, but little ole me against the big institution might not be enough to keep me swimming through the winter, at least not at the UofT pool). Anyway, I DID manage to get through the electronic turnstile and put in a solid 1600m. I did a sort of inverted pyramid: 400-300-200-100-100-200-300 and was planning on another 400 to cap out at 2000m but my shoulders were hurting and I had to get back to the office. All told it was a decent swim, and the first one in three weeks. I'm planning on another one this Thursday, especially since I will be working off-site next week and won't be able to get to the pool at all.

On a bright note I didn't feel the customary pain in the bottom of my foot when I stepped out onto the hard tiled surface of the pool deck! This is a sure sign that I am on the road to recovery. Though I an itching to run again soon I will wait a bit more, erring on the side of caution. I want to be pain free for a few days at least before attempting my first run. Even then I will be spending the remainder of January doing a very conservative base building thing, starting with alternating walking and running ala ultra-rookie runner. Also, I am relying on my virtual running conscience in the form of BeachRunner411, who has managed to remain injury free with the wise "slow and steady" method of running, the one which I've tried to follow in 2008 but (obviously) failed to adhere to in a strict and rigorous way as I bounced from one injury to another. In my defense, though, I blame this foot thing on footwear and the inevitable trial and error process of finding the right shoes and not on my lack of conservativeness towards the end of the year. I think that taking all of December off, and then some, goes a long way to winning me over to the "listen to your body" and "look at the big picture" and "you're in it for the long run" stuff...

Also, back on the chin ups thing I did 5x5 pull ups and 5x5 chin ups for a total of 50. It was pretty easy actually, but I didn't want to push it.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Felice Devine said...

Yay for recovery! I hope you're able to get out there for a run soon.

January 6, 2009 at 10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You finished school? You are so lucky. I have been working on my thesis forever. Mainly because I need to recruit parents and my inclusion criteria is very specific. Only 10 more parents to go! But, then I have to analyze that data and finish writing:(

January 7, 2009 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Congrats on the foot recovery progress. That is awesome and that is the reward you get for your stick-to-it-iveness. Stay disciplined. You are doing great. You deserve all the credit by the way. But thanks for the kind mention. I support you, homie, and bloggy shout outs always make me feel good.

January 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice job with the swim. Glad to hear the foot is feeling better.

January 7, 2009 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

If I had run every day in 2008, I'd be taking 2009 off.

Here's to a healthy, happy 2009!

January 7, 2009 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger nwgdc said...

Wow, that's quite a feat! I wish I woulda thunk of that about 7 days ago. Oh well...maybe next year.

I'm excited to hear the foot is continuing to show promise! Looks like there won't be a need for amputation.

January 7, 2009 at 10:02 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

Vav, thanks for the grats and encouragement, it really helped! In your honor I will now attempt two pushups in a row. :) You are the man!

January 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home