Monday, January 5, 2009

Pushing Up

After a morning spent waiting while the "professionals" installed our new hot water tank in such a way as to prevent me from moving the dryer back into it's spot, then waiting another hour plus while they fixed the problem (you'd think that they would figure this stuff out, what with having to do these installs all the time!) I finally made it to work around 1:30. Not a good thing after a week and a half off, but what's one supposed to do?

I stayed late at work to make up a little bit for the lost time, and when I got home I got to the Week 6 Day 1 set of push ups. These went 45-55-35-30 and then a max set where I managed a more than decent 85 for a total of 250. I felt pretty weak actually, most likely as a result of the cross country skiing over the weekend. The most painful spots are the hips flexors though and I didn't anticipate any problems anywhere else. I guess in the end it didn't matter very much as I completed more on the max set than I thought I would.

Tomorrow it's back on the chin ups I think, and I am contemplating getting back to running soon. The foot, although I still feel something there, has reached a point where I now can call it a "discomfort" rather than pain. I am thinking of taking it really easy for the first few weeks, just running short distances (ie. 5k or so) and not faster than 6 minute kilometres (9:40/mile for my American readers). Then if all goes well I can start upping the mileage a bit more in February. I think the cross country skiing will do wonders for my legs as well since that seems to work the hip flexors that running tends to neglect.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

great job on the pushups and your patience while healing! it's hard, but pays off. good luck!

January 5, 2009 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

It sure sounds like you will be doing the hundred this week. Good luck! I just finished week 01 again. This time I will make it past week 05 Day 01!

I'm glad to hear the foot is feeling better too.

January 6, 2009 at 1:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is always a good thing when the pain goes away! Glad all went smooth with the new hot water tank.

January 6, 2009 at 7:30 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Great job on the Ups, homie. Really great work.

Just do me a favor and run slow and easy when you start running again. And start off with short slow runs too. Build the miles up gradually. Do you hear me?

January 6, 2009 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger Vava said...

BR: I hear you loud and clear!!! Your last post says it all, and I plan on going slow and steady whenever I do actually start running again. I want 2009 to be injury free!

January 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Wow, way to rock out with those PUs! Have you seen his new sit up challenge? That one I might have have to do . . .

January 6, 2009 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Aron said...

great job on the push ups!!! good luck with the running... i bet that is just so frustrating. sounds like you are doing it right though listening to your body and taking it easy. good luck!

January 6, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home