Friday, January 16, 2009

Keeping it all in...

Today, it was pointed out to me that I might be revealing more about myself and my family in the pages of this blog than I might want to. You see, I work in the world of privacy and am very much aware of what the pitfalls are and where they lie with respect to subjects such as identity theft, profiling, data mining, etc. However, as I've carried along with this blog my general cautiousness has slowly eroded to the point where I perhaps am faced with a re-evaluation of the purpose for which this thing was started in the first place: track my progress in running. It's been a great tool to keep me motivated and accountable, and I don't want to lose that element. But I also like the whole journal element, where I can look back and see not only what I was doing on a particular day exercise wise, but also what was happening in general.

As such, I am wondering how others out there feel about this subject? I've found that I enjoy blogs that have a personal element to them more than others and this may be the reason why mine has "loosened up" a little bit. At the same time I don't ever wish to place my family in a compromising position as a result of my hobby. Not a lot can be gleaned from any one post, but when one puts all the posts together a terrific (and perhaps terrifying) amount of information is there for all to see. (In a barely related matter, I seem to have received my first hit from South America, the last continent, not counting Antarctica, to join the party. Person in Peru, welcome! And who is that in the middle of the Pacific, west of Hawaii? And while we're on the subject, who's up there by Hudson Bay, most likely freezing their asses off?)

Anyway, I will have to think a little bit about this and see what happens. As a first step I am considering registering a domain name specifically for this blog and keeping everything related nice and tidy, ready to be eliminated and/or shut down at a moments notice. Then I might just have to stop with the family stuff...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger BeachRunner said...

I hear you. My running journal blog quickly evolved into something very different. It's all Marcy's fault.

Keep me posted on the transcontinental mystery peeps.

January 16, 2009 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My personal opinion, I think a lot of the privacy concerns are overblown. I haven't heard of a single case of an adult with a blog being stalked or having their identities stolen because of their blog. The only things I have heard about are kids being stalked by pedophiles. Even so, I have a company that monitors my identity just for the piece-of-mind that nobody is buying a Ferrari using my name out there. Anyway, as long as you aren't posting your credit cards or ID numbers on here, I don't think you have too much to worry about.

January 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

I've thought about that, too. It's a weird thing because you start to feel so comfortable with your readers -- or at least those who comment. But, I guess you never know what could happen.

January 16, 2009 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the personal touches add to the interest.

January 17, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home