Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Thrill is Gone

It seems that the novelty of swimming a couple of times a week at lunch has come and gone, and I now am faced with the prospect of talking myself into going through the routine of getting to the pool, changing, showering, jumping in the water, swimming, getting out,... you get the picture.

However, I DID talk myself into it, after I had an unexpected visit from my younger loin fruit! He was downtown with his Mom on an appointment close enough to my office building that they decided to drop in. It was very cool to see him in this context, and he entertained the entire staff for a while until we pretty much had to force him to leave. He wanted to stay with his Daddy! Aaawwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

Anyway, the swim was OK, as far as those things go. I decided to just go until I could go no more or I hit 2000m, whichever came first. The first 400m went by nice and easy, though by the time I got to 500m I was beginning to doubt my ability to go non-stop for another 1500m. It wasn't a physical thing, more mental for sure.

But I did do it (2000m) and it took me 30:30, so that means I averaged 1:33 per 100m. Man, I am so slow compared to my younger competitive days! Of course, back then I used to swim twice a day, 7000-8000m per practice! I must have had a screw loose...

The other thing I should mention is that I felt a twinge of runner's knee in the right leg last night after my run, so I'd better stay on top of that an get back to working on my weak hips and ass... The foot is status quo, not getting much better, but not getting worse either. I think I have to just keep taking it easy.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

remind me never to post any of my swim times on my blog... lol. Great job on the swim, and hope the knee gets better soon! :)

January 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

Getting ready for swimming does take quite a while eh.

Good job on sticking it out.

January 23, 2009 at 12:42 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Nice swim. Smart to be very cautious with your knee/foot.

January 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Take care of the knee. If you are running outside in the craptastic slush, go slowly.

Sometimes the dreadmill will cause some pain in your knee too, either way take care.

January 23, 2009 at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home