Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Another 5k on the Treadmill

Today my wife and I enjoyed a day of freedom on account of it being Remembrance Day. Although only government employees like us get the day off, I think a lot of places were closed until noon to let people honour the memories of those who serve, served, and especially those who lost their lives in battle. In case some are not aware, Remembrance Day is celebrated on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month every year and has its origins in World War I. Naturally, we paused for a moment of silence at 11am.

Other than that, we spent the day driving our crappy car around the GTA to various dealerships as we are scouting out a replacement for our current automobile, which is dying a painful and noisy death in its 12th year of existence. We didn't buy anything, nor did we expect to on our first day, but we got our feet wet in the whole negotiating and dealing with car salesmen realm. I cannot express how much I loathe the entire experience...

Once we returned home I headed off to the gym for another slow and short run on the treadmill, and then some weights. I once again ran for 30 minutes at 6.2mph, which translates to 5k at 6:00/km pace. I think my body is still working out the kinks that have been left over from the 10k race a couple of weeks ago, but it felt pretty good all things considered. As much as I hate the treadmill, I am happy to be running again. Also, I am committed to listening to all of your kind comments on taking it easy and plan on running slow and short, adding a little bit of mileage each week as I go. I really hope that the foot continues to improve the way that it has been, but if I have a setback then I will take more time off. I committed to that 30k race at the end of March, but not the 10 miler on Boxing Day so I guess I really don't have to run that one if it comes down to a decision between staying healthy or racing...

I really hope I don't have to make that decision!

My short weight workout was quick and light:

  • Dumbell Bench Press 12-12-12 45lbs
  • Lat Pulldowns 12-12-12 115lbs
  • Rope Triceps Extensions 12-12 40lbs
  • Dumbell Flys 12-12 20lbs
  • Dumbell Biceps Curls 10-10 20lbs

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Felice Devine said...

Sounds like you are getting back to it in a smart way. I know how tough it can be, but you want to be running for the long term so it's good to take time off when needed and start back slowly.

Nice run on the 'mill.

November 12, 2008 at 9:15 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Oy car shopping. Not fun at all. Hopefully the process goes through as quick and as painless as possible LOL

November 12, 2008 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with you on the ordeal of car buying. I bought a new one last month after 6 years with this car. I'm going to make this car last about 10 years so I don't have to go through that again for a while.

It looks like your running is comming back nicely. Slow and steady progress and you will be back racing in no time.

November 12, 2008 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Nice job with the slow and steady. Based on the economic reports I have been reading, you may be the only person in North America shopping for a car. I bet some incentives and deals will be available.

November 12, 2008 at 3:05 PM  
Blogger Marlene said...

Nice job on your workout!

And belated congrats on your PR at Niagara! Sweet time!!

November 12, 2008 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger B. Kramer said...

Good job staying smart about your recovery. The distance will come. A 30K at the end of March seems very doable. Good luck in the training.

November 13, 2008 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger N.D. said...

The car thing stinks. Glad you had a nice run with your wife and that you are taking it easy. : )

November 14, 2008 at 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home