Monday, November 10, 2008

Making a Commitment

Although I am not really ready to start heavy training, and am hesitant about starting back into some easy running, I have made a commitment to a race and distance that just a few weeks ago I would have though was unthinkable. No, I am not planning on any marathon or anything, but I have registered for the Around the Bay race in Hamilton in late March, 2009. 30k here I come!!! I'm going right past the half-marathon distance for some unknown reason! This may be nuts, but I am not willing to miss this opportunity by waiting until the last minute only to be disappointed because this race has an entrance limit. This is the oldest distance race in North Americe and also very popular, so I decided to pull the trigger now. In the same spirit, I almost registered for the Boxing Day 10 miler, also in Hamilton, but because that is a lot sooner I thought I'd better see how the foot feels over the next two weeks and then make that decision. I am still fully committed to running in this race also, but for some reason I don't have the same sense of urgency to register right now.

Tonight I am not running on the treadmill, or doing anything else. I have some schoolwork that I need to finish and submit, and then I will do the whole ice bath thing on the foot. My treatment this morning was positive in that the doctor said I can start running nice and easy since that won't do any more damage to the foot, but also painful as hell when he worked on some muscle stiffiness I've had in my upper hip / lower back area. It was one of those experiences where I couldn't help laughing because the pain was so crazy! Someday this body of mine will adapt.

It HAS to!

And lastly, my lovely wife forced me to hobble up the stairs to check on the boys and here is what I found: my 4 year-old fancies himself to be some sort of Aquaboy! Do we take the goggles off and risk waking him up, or leave them on and risk him having massive circles around his eyes all day tomorrow?

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

lol. that is the cutest pic! what did you decide to do??

November 10, 2008 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

melanie: I think my wife took them off, but I am not hobbling back upstairs until I absolutely have to. Cheers!

November 10, 2008 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger joyRuN said...

OMG - too too cute!

I love sleeping kid pics.

Happy training for March09 :)

November 10, 2008 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger N.D. said...

Aquaboy! Hahaha. That is adorable! Nice job signing up for a race this spring, it will be something to work towards!

November 10, 2008 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger nwgdc said...

Absolutely hilarious!
I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a 30k event. Goofy Canadians!

As for the training, you have plenty of time for peak training so be sure to get yourself healthy first!
By the way, every injury I'm still feeling after my 50 miler I refer to as 'wonky.' I love that word!

November 10, 2008 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger Shoe Running said...

Hey Vava, I think this is my first comment :) That is the cutest pic ever! I've been giggling for a couple minutes.

Good luck training for your 30K!

November 10, 2008 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

I am also running those races (surprise, suprise, I know). ATB is a great race, you'l love it! I never done the Boxing Day 10 miler. Take care of your foot.

November 10, 2008 at 11:25 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

30K! Way to go. I like having races on as they force me to get my butt out the door!

November 11, 2008 at 6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute picture. I think it is great that you are challenging yourself. I think you are working your way up to a marathon.

November 11, 2008 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

LOL at Aquaboy. Great pic. My daughter went through a phase when she was younger where she had to wear gloves to bed.

November 11, 2008 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

ROFLMAO Awwwhhhh I love the pic! Gotta love kids at that age.

November 11, 2008 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger X-Country2 said...

Aww, what a cutie! Love the jammies too. :o)

November 11, 2008 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Ha! I love that picture! So cute.

November 11, 2008 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cute pic!

As far as running the 30k and 10-miler, it's not a problem as long as you train for the distance and pace you plan on doing. It's when you try to race beyond what your training has reached is when you get in trouble. Just make sure to get that injury healed 100% before starting you mileage buildup and you will do fine.

Sounds like an exciting race.

November 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home