Thursday, October 30, 2008

R'n'R, and it's not cool kind...

I don't mean rock'n'roll, but rather the much more geriatric rest'n'recuperation, and that's what I am continuing to do as I await the healing of the foot to run its course. It's actually quite pathetic the pain that this seemingly simple 10k has left me with, and I can't even begin to imagine what it feels like after running a marathon. I am not yet bouncing off the walls, but I sure am starting to itch to start running again. I am not interested in speed or anything, but rather the slow buildup of mileage that I am looking forward to.

I figure that the winter will be taken up with adding one kilometre per week starting at something fairly short and manageable. This strategy, coupled with maintaining strict heart rate and pacing in the nice'n'easy range (we really should use 'n' more often, don't you think?), promises to keep me on my feet while minimizing the chance of any overuse injuries.

So, I will try and relax and keep this foot on the healing path. I did manage another swim this afternoon, and that is helping to keep me sane. 2000m in 29 minutes. No weights tonight, though, partly because I am writing this week off, and mostly because it is Owen's

7th BIRTHDAY!

... and that kept me busy for the evening, as you can imagine. Now it is late, and I am still to do some stretching and some foot maintenance stuff, so it's time to sign off. I've been so busy this week that I haven't really had a chance to catch up on all of the blogs out there, but things should get back to normal after this week at work, or at least I really really hope that they do!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

sorry to hear the foot is still giving your grief... take care and hopefully you'll be able to hit the pavement soon...

October 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Owen had a wonderful birthday! How time flies.

Keep resting up it is annoying, but worth it.

October 31, 2008 at 7:17 AM  
Blogger joyRuN said...

Happy birthday to Owen! Enjoy the festivities :)

October 31, 2008 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Slow and steady base build. Now you are talking my lingo. Happy B-day to Owen.

October 31, 2008 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger blotka1234 said...

... Owen ... best wishes from us on Regal Road, too ...

October 31, 2008 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Frayed Laces said...

Don't worry, the pain will go away. You are doing the smart thing! Grab a good book to distract you!

October 31, 2008 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger N.D. said...

Injuries SUCK! Good luck, and hope the b'day went well! Patience is a virtue!

October 31, 2008 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Happy birthday to Owen! Rest up and take care of that foot. I can empathize as I'm practicing a little RICE with my ankle.

November 1, 2008 at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home