Monday, October 20, 2008

Slow and Steady 6k

I had another treatment with the good doctor this afternoon, after spending the entire day in meetings, which meant dress shoes. Whenever possible, I try to avoid wearing these things and you'll normally find me roving around the office in socks, but when meetings are in store I have to put on an air of professionalism, or some such thing.

Anyway, the treatment was good, and by that I mean painful. Although I can't notice a difference, he says my hip flexibility has already improved. I hope that this leads to less pain in the foot, especially by Sunday.

As far as running goes I have decided to really scale it back this week and ran a short and slow 6k tonight. I will probably not run again until Thursday, moving my reagular Wednesday 5k to that evening given that I won't be running on Saturday before the race. Although I am not deluding myself into thinking that I have trained nearly enough to require a taper, I am going to do some taper-like things anyway. My swims I think I will cut down, and perhaps will not do weights at all, or maybe just once. This way I should have lots of energy on Sunday.

The run was super easy, with my average HR at 133bpm, max drift to 144. I didn't look at the Garmin as often as I usually do, but was pleasantly surprised that my pacing was pretty steady, even with navigating sidewalk traffic through much of my route.

1. 6:04
2. 5:54
3. 6:04
4. 5:58
5. 5:55
6. 6:01

Total time: 35:58
Average pace: 5:59

Garmin don't lie.


View Larger Map

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Still a pretty good pace for a run where you weren't pushing it.

Glaven don't lie.

Wait. That's not how the joke goes. It goes like this:

How can you tell if Glaven is lying?

His lips are moving.

Wait. My lips move when I read, too, so even that isn't sure-fire.

I guess you'll just never know.

October 20, 2008 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

Those are some nice splits!
Good job!

October 20, 2008 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

Hope you have a great race in Niagara this weekend. I am looking forward to it.

October 20, 2008 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Yeah! Save that energy for Sunday!

October 20, 2008 at 10:08 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

You know what they say "It's better to be under trained than over trained" Rest is good!

October 21, 2008 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

Be the turtle...slow and steady gets you back (and keeps you) in the game!

October 21, 2008 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

More good news. Nice job homie. Stay disciplined.

October 21, 2008 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Carly said...

Wow, great splits! I hope the foot is feeling better soon.

October 21, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home