Saturday, October 11, 2008

10k Along the Canal in Ottawa

The traffic leaving Toronto last night was absolutely nuts! It took us over an hour to travel to Whitby, a half-hour trip at most on a normal day, where we stopped for gas and some coffee. After that I took over the wheel and we didn't stop until we pulled into Monica's parent's driveway a little past midnight. The boys had slept in the car, but woke up just long enough for us to get them into their pj's, and then they were asleep again in minutes.

I headed off to bed as well, though couldn't resist reading a little bit first. I picked up Dean Karnaze's book "Ultramarathon Man" at the library earlier in the day and was excited to start reading it despite all the schoolwork that I needed to get done this weekend. Let's just say I am enjoying this book very much. My favorite quote so far is:

"Often we think we're moving in the right direction only to learn that the rules have changed."

This morning, upon waking up at about 8:35am, I was ready to get my 10k in and excited to be able to run with my wife. I think the last time that happened was right here in Ottawa when we completed a 5k together sometime back in the summer. Today, the weather could not have been nicer. Very sunny, nice and cool, and not windy. We walked down to Dows Lake and started off on our 10k at an easy pace, predicting that a loop around to Pretoria Street Bridge and then back towards home would be the right distance.

Tonnes of other runners were out there today, and it was nice to see. Everyone is so friendly when they pass, always with a smile or a wave, some sort of acknowledgement that makes one feel welcome. We continued along at about a 6:30/km pace for the first couple of kilometres, but slowly this pace started to speed up. I think for most of it the Garmin registered 6:21/km, and it was very nice and east. Monica is hoping to go somewhere in the 60 minute range for the 10k at Niagara Falls, and I think based on today's training run she can definitely do it. As we started on our way back, after crossing the canal at Pretoria, Monica actually picked up the pace. My foot was feeling OK, but if it had been up to me I would have stayed at the 6:20-ish pace. Nevertheless, as I called out "8k, just 2 to go!" Monica continued to push the pace. I switched the display on my watch to see what our current pace was (not the average for the entire run, which is normally what I am looking at) and it showed that we were now running at 5:47/km! As we neared the end, and I was calling out our distance periodically so Monica would know where we were at, I again switched the display and was pumped to see that she had us running at 5:35/km by the end!

The totals were 62:14, at an average pace of 6:13/km. I totally think she can get under an hour for the 10k, don't you?

Garmin don't lie.

The google image of our run.

The foot feels pretty OK, if that is a way one can describe it. I am not as concerned about missing the race, though I think I have to scale back my running a little. I had planned on 12k on Monday, but might make it a shorter 8k instead, especially since it will be after a day of driving as well.

Also, thank you Lily for your comment on my last post. I will definitely look for you at the Turkey Trot! I left a comment on your blog as per what I will be wearing, etc... See you then! I am off to get Owen registered right now!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Felice Devine said...

I finished Ultramarathon Man about a week or so ago and I really enjoyed it. There were many lines that I read and thought, "Yes! That's so right!" and I had all these plans to type them out and stick them on my fridge or computer. Then I had to return the book to the library before I got around to it and the opportunity was lost! Ha! But, I was still very inspired.

October 11, 2008 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger Nat said...

I love that quote. It's too bad I'm not physically up for Fall Colours. (We also have Cirque du Soleil tickets for tomorrow.) Alas.

I've never thought of looping around the Canal like I usually do an out and back. (you must be near my neck of the woods -- I'm about a mile from Dow's Lake.)

Have fun at the Turkey Trot.

October 11, 2008 at 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home