Thursday, October 9, 2008

Swimming is good, Foot not as good, and E-mail woes

I managed another lunchtime swim, and it really should stop being a suprise now that I am consistently doing these every Tuesday and Thursday. The only hickup was trying to get my lock open so that I could secure my bike outside at the pool. This lock sucks major ass, and the only reason I bought it was because I needed something when I arrived at work one day and had forgotten my lock. I spent almost $60 on this thing, brand name "On Guard", and the actual locking mechanism is terrible. Stay away from this brand if you are considering replacing your lock. I just didn't want to spend $100 or more on a Kryptonite since my bike is a real commuter that I put together over the years, and it really isn't worth stealing - no gears, super big to fit my 6'4" self, and pretty heavy.

Anyway, I struggled to get this thing open for 10 minutes, all the while thinking that maybe even if I was successful in unlocking it would it be worth the risk to secure it onto my bike only to return and not be able to unlock it at all. In the end the thing miraculously opened, though my hand was cramping by then, and I was able to get into the pool.

I did a non-stop 2000m in 30 minutes and it was back to work...

Afterwards, the lock opened with merely a jiggle and I was very surprised, let me tell you. When I returned to work, however, I again struggled for 10 minutes to get the thing open again! And once more, my hand was in major crampy mode by the time the thing did decide to cooperate. After work it only took a couple of minutes to unlock it, and once I got home I lubed the hell out of that sucker and things seem to be better now.

As far as the foot is concerned, I think it feels a bit better today, but it's really hard to tell. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. At work I have been rolling it by standing on a semi-hard ball, and that feels pretty good. I am hopeful that this issue doesn't keep me from running some more in preparation for the 10k on October 26th, that's for sure. If anything, I will run in pain and then take time off after the race. (Unless I think that major damage will occur, at which point the decision to pull out of the race will have to be made. I don't even want to think about that though!)

Tonight I was supposed to go weight train again, and since I missed Tuesday I am a little upset that this is not going to happen. I had agreed to share a presentation with a few people this evening and had emailed it to myself from work hoping to work on it a little more this evening. This usually works with no problems, but for some reason the email never arrived! My sent mail box shows that the attachment was sent at 4:42 in the afternoon, but nothing shows up in my inbox! Of course, I didn't check the option that would have stopped the program from stripping the attachment from the sent mail items. Damn it! Sometimes I just have to curse this technology! Now I have to start from scratch and redo the two hours of work I put into the damned presentation earlier in the day. Memory should help cut down some of the effort, but still - what a pain in the ass!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Frayed Laces said...

wow! great job on the swim! you are fast!

October 9, 2008 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Ugh -- that lock sounds frustrating. And, it reminds me of all of my nightmares where I'm back in high school, unable to open my locker so I can't get to English class and I inevitably fail out and end up pan-handling on the mean streets of Albany.

October 9, 2008 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

OMG ROFLMAO! Felice and I share the same nightmare in school! I was just going to say the same thing. I was always afraid that I wouldn't be able to open my locker.

Oy, sorry about the e-mail thing. I'd be so freekin mad!

October 10, 2008 at 8:52 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Once every few years I STILL have a crazy anxiety dream where I am in High School and I can open my locker in time to get to class.

October 10, 2008 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger N.D. said...

you're a fast swimmer! does it help the foot any?

October 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home