Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wet Wet Wet Wet Wet and a Big Rookie Mistake Bummer

This morning I biked with Owen over to his school for his regular 8am cross-country running practice. The grey clouds in the sky looked like they would hold off until mid morning, so I figured Owen would have a good workout outdoors instead of in the gym, and I'd get to work dry, ready for my all-day meeting. Instead, not two minutes after I left his school the sky started pissing on me hard! I stopped and pulled on my rain pants, but I did not have the right footwear. By the time I got to work my feet were totally soaked. Damn Damn Damn! Didn't bring extra socks...

Oh well, that's what you get when you bike to work I guess... I sat through the morning meeting with wet socks in dress shoes, and that just felt so lovely I can't even begin to explain how happy it made me...

At least the weather cooperated on my way to the pool at lunch time as it was no longer raining. I got there a little late since the meeting went well past it's scheduled lunch break time, and the lanes were clogged with swimmers. I vented on this subject before, so I won't do it again here. I jumped in and was ready for an uninterrupted 1500m, navigating others of course.

The swim was fine even though I had to stop a couple of times when I was hampered in my efforts to pass others. I completed the 1500m in 22:20 and then did another 300m to bring the total to 1800m in about 27 minutes. Then, got out, got dry, got wet socks back on, got on bike, got back workin'...

At the end of the workday, my marathon running manager said that he'd registered his family for the October 18th Zoorun and that he would use the 10k as a warm up for his marathon at Niagara Falls the following week. Excited by the news I went online to finally register myself for the event, and was totally bummed out to find that the event was SOLD OUT!!! Man! I'd been so looking forward to running this event, and made a rookie mistake by not registering early. I was overly cautious with the ankle and knee and didn't want to commit to something until I was more sure that my body would allow me to race. Won't do THAT again...

So, now I had to find a backup plan. The Niagara Falls race looked interesting, and it would be cool to see someone I know run the marathon. So tonight I registered myself and my wife for the 10k race on October 26th! I have no idea how this will work out, where we'll stay the night before, who will look after the boys, or anything else really, but I don't care! I'm going to race!!!

And, of course, I had to rework the training plan a bit.

Prior to the above Internet magic I managed some weights at the gym. It was fun.

  • 10 minutes stationary bike warm up
  • Chin Ups 8-7-5-4
  • Incline Bench Press 12-12-12 115lbs
  • Dumbell Rows 12-12 40lbs
  • Lateral Dumbell Flys 12-12 20lbs
  • Seated Dumbel Biceps Curls 12-12 30lbs
  • Dumbell Triceps Extensions 12-12 20lbs
  • Bicycle Crunches 50-50-50

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to sign up for a 10K! I am sure everything will work out and you'll have a great time.

Having to sit in meetings with wet socks and shoes, is not comfortable. You'll have to leave some backups at work.

October 1, 2008 at 7:47 AM  
Blogger joyRuN said...

Wet wrinkly feet in dress shoes - YUM!

October 1, 2008 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

I hate the wet socks.. nothing says blisters like wet socks!

Good luck with the 10k!

October 1, 2008 at 9:15 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Let me know how you like that baby! That is one on my list :-) I'm glad you were able to find something!

October 1, 2008 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Frayed Laces said...

Wow way to rock that workout!

October 1, 2008 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Wet socks is the worst!!

Way to make up for your rookie mistake. The Niagra Falls 10k should be a blast. I hope you will provide a full report with pics.

October 1, 2008 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Yuck on the wet socks. Definitely get some back-ups to keep in the office.

Glad you found a 10k to enter.

October 1, 2008 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Aron said...

OH NO that sucks about the socks!

those niagra falls races look so cool!!! that will be a fun one to race!

October 1, 2008 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger N.D. said...

Oh man that stinks about the sold out race! Definitely next year you'll know. That's happened to me before too! And wet socks - yikes, that would drive me nuts! At least you started the day off right!

October 1, 2008 at 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home