Saturday, September 20, 2008

16k Rollerblading, and On the Mend (I Hope!)

Dusted off the rollerblades this morning for a little cross-training action. I used to rollerblade to work everyday a number of years ago, and got pretty good at it, but I was not too sure how comfortable I'd be getting back into it after a long layoff. I figured that the ankle would be OK since what really was hurting me was the push off part, and in skating this doesn't happen the same way. The blades also go quite high up the calf so support was not going to be an issue.

After literally cleaning dust, bits of leaves, and who knows what else from inside my blades, I strapped on the Garmin and headed out. All I wanted to do was an hour or so of cardio-ish type activity to keep the training plan somewhat consistent. Today was supposed to be a pretty fast 10k run, so about an hour was what I'd have ended up doing anyway. I was curious to see what muscles would start to hurt first, expecting the hip flexors and ass muscles to be the ones.

Anyway, it was fun! I decided to just go around in circles on the local high-school track cuz I have no stopper left and, given the years of not blading, I wasn't about to tackle hills having to drag wheels to stop. As expected my hip flexors were the first to feel the burn, but I had some trouble getting my heart rate up. I averaged 129bpm, but did get it into the 140s sometimes. I was amazed that I was only able to maintain a 3:20 - 3:30/km pace while on blades (3:35 overall, but in the 3:20 ish range on the track), which once again adds perspective on how fast some people can run. For the last ten laps a runner came onto the track and kept up with me! He was fast (duh!), but I was amazed at his form, which made him look slower than he was. He ran on his toes, heels never touching the ground, and his feet landed in an exaggerated supponated position which for me would snap my ankle like a dry twig! His upper body was so straight up he looked like he was leaning back a little, and his hands moved as if he was clawing at the air in front of him, and his stride was short with a relatively quick cadence but not what I would describe as fast. Nonetheless, he was FAST! Very impressive indeed. As much fun as blading was, I'd rather have been running. There were others on the track and I was very envious...

The ankle was fine throughout and having walked down to the park with the kids, and back again, I am cautiously optimistic that I am finally on the mend. I don't know if I will be able to run on Monday yet, but we'll see. I will err on the side of caution, as much as my dumbass (weakass?) brain will allow.

Garmin don't lie (except on the calories burned...).

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roller blading is fun! I enjoy it, but I am awful at stopping. Glad the body was feeling good.

September 20, 2008 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Sounds like fun.

September 20, 2008 at 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home