Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Little Swim, a Smidgen of Weights, with a Dash of Bike Accident

Got into the pool just as it opened up today so I was free and clear of any crowds for at least the first part. I managed 1500m, of which 400 was kick, in about 25 minutes and then had to get back to the office. I really like having all my stuff inside a locker at the gym - just remember my student card and keys, jump on the bike, and off I go! Easy.

Weighed myself again while there and the scale stopped at a more reasonable 190.25lbs. I guess my previous trip to the scale at the pool was ultra light because I was uber-hungry.

However, my day took a bit of a downturn on the way home. Somehow I managed to hit an invisible pothole just around the corner from my younger one's school and I went right over the handlebars of my bike, sprawled onto the asphalt. I must admit that the only thing that ran through my mind as it was happening was whether or not I'd be able to make my run on Saturday, which I guess means I am bordering on obsessive or something. Anyway, I managed to walk away with some bruises on both knees and my left wrist, as well as some skinned knuckles. (How the hell did I land to get skinned knuckles, anyway?) My bike was not as fortunate and I had some repairs to get to once I did manage to hobble home, son in tow.

I didn't feel like it, but managed another weight workout despite feeling like I'd been punched repeatedly. I wasn't too sure how the left wrist would hold up and my shoulders felt really tired from the swimming so I decided to go light and play it by ear. In the end it was a largely uninspired workout...

Details:

  • 10 minute warm up on stationary bike
  • Incline Bench Press 10-10-10 115lbs
  • Bicycle Crunches 50-50-50
  • Seated Rows 10-10-10 140lbs
  • Lateral Shoulder Flys 12-12 20lbs
  • Dumbell Biceps Curls 10-10 30lbs
  • Rope Triceps Extensions 12-12 40lbs
Tomorrow is another off day, then I will tackle a fast (10k pace or so) 9k on Saturday morning. I have decided to modify my training plan slightly and have put the "tempo" type runs on Saturdays and the "LSD" type runs on Mondays. I figure since the race I am preparing for is on a Saturday morning my body will be better prepared if I push it on the same day of the week. Does this make sense? All the books I've been reading say the weekend run should be the LSD, but races are ALWAYS on weekends. I don't get it. Is it simply that these authors assume people don't have time mid-week for a long slow run? Maybe those plans are specific to marathon training and not for something short like a 10k.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Frayed Laces said...

Ohmigosh! I am so glad you are okay!

September 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Whoa, could have been so much worse. I'm sorry you crashed though. Take it easy.

I think you are probably right about why the long ones are on the weekends...but I'm no expert. :D

September 12, 2008 at 2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to walk away with no major injuries. I hate pot holes. Hope the knuckles are ok.

September 12, 2008 at 7:42 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

Glad you are still going! As mentioned could have been a lot worse.

September 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Wow, sorry about the spill, but so glad you are OK. Getting a workout in is also very impressive.

But can you puleeze stop obsessing about your weight?

September 12, 2008 at 1:06 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Beachrunner: OK. I didn't think I was obsessing, but I guess I have been a little. No more posts on trying to keep weight on! And yet, isn't this supposed to be a journal of what's going on in my life? Hmmm, perhaps I'll have to stop thinking about it in my day-to-day world as well, and THAT could be more challenging.

September 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home