Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Soggy Sunday Over Par

Today I was part of a golf tournament that a friend of mine puts on each year for a charitable cause. Up until this morning the forecast was for sun, sun, and more sun. However, by the time I left the house it was clouding over and things were not going to improve. In fact, they only got worse. Much worse...

Mercifully (or tauntingly, depending on your perspective) the rain held off until all four of us had hit our first tee shots. We were near the end of all the groups, so it meant we'd spend the most time under water possible. At first the rain was a steady kind of light thing, but constant. Then, at about the third hole it just started to piss on us and did not let up until about the 14th hole. I was not ready for this (stupid me!) and had nothing on me but a long-sleeved t-shirt. Needless to say I was soaked through, freezing, and could not grip my clubs. This led to more than a few being flung around, but luckily nobody got hurt. I was surprised that play was not suspended on account of all the standing water. It was crazy to see the stream of water pouring off the ball as it rolled around on the greens! I guess my 102 (par was 72) was not bad given the conditions. I even had a par on one! My worst hole was the first, where I scored a terrible 9, but given that I did not get to swing any clubs at a driving range prior to the round, and this was my second time golfing in years (ankle, thanks again!) I wasn't that displeased with it. I thought 9 would be a GOOD score on each hole, and luckily 7 was the worst I'd do from that point on... Definitely the coldest and wettest round of golf I've EVER played. Still beats a kick in the head I suppose, though I didn't have the same kind of day as the old guy from Caddyshack (but am still alive, and for this I should be thankful):


I did not bring my camera (good thing since it's not water proof), but a few pics may get posted here in the next little while. The videos of me swinging may never see the light of day, at least on this space.

Anyway, after coming home and slowly warming up I am feeling my knee more than I was anticipating. Ice strapped to both the knee and ankle I am sitting waiting for the 8pm NFL game to start, and wondering how I'll manage the planned slow 8k tomorrow...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After a long day playing golf, I hope you enjoyed some football.

September 8, 2008 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

OMG I have no patience for golf in general and then if you add masty weather on top of it? LMAO Ohh dear!

September 8, 2008 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Nice job in rough conditions. LOL at the caddyshack reference. That is exactly what I was thinking of. All in all it sounds like an awful experience to this non-golfer.

September 8, 2008 at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home