Wednesday, September 3, 2008

5km "Maintenance" Run and Justifying Pain

The plan called for some interval type training on Wednesdays, and following the Run Less Run Faster model this would not be more than 5km of training (did the book say 5k or 5 miles?) I have been trying to stick to at least that distance. My knee cannot take intervals just yet, and I am afraid of overdoing it and then having to sit on my ass for a couple of weeks, or more! So, today I went out for what was supposed to be an easy 5k "maintenance" type run.

After work I met up with my wife at Malcolm's school as we had our parent-teacher interview for his Junior Kindergarden class. We got Malks and went to see his teacher. It was pleasant, and we already knew her as she shared the room with Owen's teacher when he was in JK a few years back (yikes!). Anyway, that went well. Then I had to walk home with my bike in one hand and Owen's bike in the other because we had cycled over to his bus pickup in the morning. His bike is small, my back is kinked, enough said...

Then it was off to pick Owen up at his school (he's in French Immersion at a different school, ergo the bus). I decided to fit the run in on my way and got ready to go. Even though I felt a little pressed for time I made sure to include the now mandatory 10 minute warmup walk, then started into what I hoped would be an easy 6:00/km pace. It was rather hot today, and quickly my plan to keep my HR lowish (mid 140s) was going down the drain. Also, as I picked up the pace a little I justified my effort by telling myself that it would be a shame to go see my physio tomorrow with no knee pain! I don't know if anyone else worries about this, but I do. I would feel like I was wasting her time if I showed up without the ailment that precipitated the call in the first place. Happy to report that after my 5k at 5:43 pace the knee is still acting up. As I sit here, post icing and watching the Williams sisters hitting balls, I am dreading the thought that the physio will force me to take time off. I really hope there is a muscle weakness issue or something that needs stretching which will allow me to keep running...

Garmin don't lie:



The google image of my route.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your appointment will shed some light on the knee issue. I am always afraid my symptoms will disappear when I see the doctor.

September 4, 2008 at 7:17 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! You nut!! The first time I got hurt really bad I did the same thing. Was thinking "Well shoot, might as well make it really hurt if I'm going to see the Dr anyway" Yeaahhh I made it hurt more alright :-X

September 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

LOL at Marcy.

I hope the physio can help with treaments and/or exercises and the knee gets better soon.

September 4, 2008 at 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home