Thursday, August 21, 2008

Designing a Training Plan, and Weights

Having designed a training plan for myself as I prep for my first 10k race on October 18th, I decided to read a little bit to make sure I am not making any serious mistakes. So, I am reading Run Less Run Faster right now, and it seems that my plan is very similar to what they recommend in this book. This validates my approach to some extent, and although I am starting off really easy compared to what the book recommends (on account of the knee and the lack of base mileage) I think I will be able to run an ok 10k by race day. One surprise to me from this book is the acknowledgement that runners tend to avoid weight training because they fear it might bulk them up. Is this true? I lift light weights to stay strong (is that irony???) and not to bulk up, also to maintain a relatively high metabolism now that I am of an age (read 30+) where sitting around at the office leads to extra pounds on the carriage. Anyway, good book, not great. Worth browsing at the store or borrowing from the library, especially for us beginner types.

One thing I learned from my intervals of yesterday - I have a loooooooooooong way to go!!! This certainly puts fast runners like Lifestrides and Nitmos in perspective; "Too much! Too much F'ing perspective." - David St. Hubbins.

Got a short weight workout in tonight since I am going out for some beerverages with a friend I haven't seen in far too long. Feeling some ill effects of yesterday's intervals in the right (aka "wonky") ankle - achilles tendon is more tender than it should be. This tells me that it's really time to get new shoes, which I will hopefully manage to check out tomorrow night.

Details:
  • 10 minute stationary bike warmup
  • Dumbell Bench Press 15-10-10 50lbs,60lbs
  • Hammer Strength Seated Rows 12-12-12 180lbs
  • Dumbell Military Press 12-10 40lbs
  • Lat Pulldowns 10-8 145lbs (this was harder than it should have been)
  • Dumbell Alternating Biceps Curls 10-10 60lbs
  • Triceps Kickbacks 12-12 15lbs (on the first rep my right tri cramped like a s.o.b.!)
  • Ab Machine 15-15-15 125lbs
Weight check: holding steady at 196lbs.

Now off to the bar!!! (Tomorrow's weigh in prediction? ... I don't think so!)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lily on the Road said...

You know, sometimes going out for BEvERages with friends actual works in the training program....

REALLY....LOL..

August 21, 2008 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

I love me some FIRST plans. It's the only way I roll. Fits the fam lifestyle, ya know? I tweak them to my laziness, though HAHAHAHAA

August 22, 2008 at 7:52 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! You have a great one too! I just ordered that book, I've heard great things about the FIRST plan and I'd like to give it a try once I'm through Chicago.
I think wondering whether or not you're a runner is really common. Laura's posts and the comments on this topic are really interesting. Check them out Part 1 and Part 2

August 22, 2008 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Bulk up, schmulk up - I find that a light to moderate upper body workout with weights every four to five days keeps me looking and feeling better. I believe it also may help me run better and stay injury-free. But I have a body type where I couldn't "bulk up" even if I wanted to.

August 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Progman2000 said...

Yeah, I'm with BeachRunner - I don't have a "bulk up" kind of body. But high rep weight training combined with track workouts is a sure way to drop the body fat and get to your goal weight. Glad to see someone else reading the FIRST book - I'm using FIRST to the Finish for Philadelphia, will be interested to see how you do with your 10k - good lucj.

August 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home