Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Short Weights & Too Flexible?

Tonight I squeezed in a short workout at the gym, again skipping the running for yet another day. I am mulling over more and more seriously running a 10k race on October 18th, and as such have been devising a preparation program that will (hopefully) keep me injury free and able to finish the race is a decent time. Starting this Saturday it will be 9 weeks until the race! I've also gotten my wife interested in the idea of running at the Zoo, so we may do it together. Of course, nothing is for real until we register, and I won't do that until closer to the race since my body is still very much adjusting to running. I have no doubt that I can run a 10k, even now, just concerned that doing so will put me out of commission for a while (knee, ankle, etc.), and that would suck big time! The knee's feeling pretty good, though there is still a hint of pain under the kneecap. The hip flexors are screaming for relief, which they can have for the rest of the night, but that's it.

Is it possible to be TOO flexible? I'm stretching so much, especially because of this knee thing, and I am finding that I can go so far on the quads and hamstrings that I am losing the desired effect. When I stretch my quad, for instance, I feel like I'm stretching more stuff above the hip bone than the quad itself. I think I know how to stretch from years of doing it, but maybe I've forgotten more than I'm willing to admit...

Details:

  • 10 minute warmup on stationary bike

  • Bench Press 12-12-12 135lbs

  • HS Rows 12-12-10 180lbs

  • Military Press 12-12 95lbs

  • Lat Pulldowns 8-8 145lbs

  • Biceps Curls 12-12 60lbs

  • Dips 12-12

  • Bicycle Crunches 50-50-50
Total time: 43 minutes, jock free for the most part!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home