Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day of Rest, and Caffeinating

With the knee on the mend, but definitely not all the way healed, I have taken to heart some advice from a fellow runner (thanks Lily on the Road!) who has more experience than I and will approach my recovery more conservatively than I would otherwise. Also, my paper is still in the drivel stage and I fully intend to get it to first draft stage by the end of today. As such I will be partaking of more coffee than I should while my lovely wife is entertaining the boys for the day. She's the best!

I wonder what other runners out there think about coffee? Is it ok or a total no go? My love of coffee started when I was a bike courier and the winter months were cold and long. Getting on the bike at 7am when it was still dark, the cafes looked very inviting and I was hooked. Also, downtime, a good book and coffee just fit so well together. I've cut down recently, but having no coffee while holding down an office job seems nearly impossible. I particularly enjoy the social aspects of the "coffee break" and would likely miss that most of all.

Anyway, back to the paper, and of course the coffee!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Carly said...

Ahhhh coffee,I not sure I am should be giving advice but I seem to run better with a jolt of caffeine.
Although, I am also trying to cut back. I agree, office work should come with an IV drip of coffee.

August 10, 2008 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Frayed Laces said...

Coffee is my lifeblood. There is nothing wrong with coffee or caffeine and running. In fact, all the gels I take on long runs have caffeine. That extra boost really helps, especially deep in the dredges of a marathon.

Also, a nice strong cup of coffee before a race is very good to get things, umm, moving so to speak.

I know people debate the health benefits of coffee, but all I drink is water and coffee. I can't face the day without a huge mug of my caffeinated sludge, and I don't think it's harming me in any way!

August 11, 2008 at 1:43 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Enjoy your rest day and coffee. I am an orange juice in the morning guy. Just never got into the coffee habit. Smart move to rest the knee.

August 11, 2008 at 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home