Monday, August 11, 2008

Weights, and Navigating Jocks

Warmed up on a stationary bike for 10 minutes, even though the knee is really starting to feel better I'm holding back. As I ice it I'm trying very hard to NOT run until it is 100% for a couple of days. Also, I want to keep strengthening my hip flexors and quads.

Decent workout tonight, but wayyyyy too many posers at the gym taking up precious space. This MMA craze is sure bringing these guys out of the woodwork. They're loud, they swear, they smell, they "spar", they boast, they brag, they compare, they adjust themselves a lot, but they do very little of what one can actually call working out. But they take over the machines and don't relinquish them for anything!

Here's what I managed to fit in on the machines that were not occupied:
  • Hammer Strength Bench Press 12-10-10 110lbs
  • Seated Rows 12-12-12 120lbs
  • Military Press 12-12 95lbs
  • Lat Pulldowns 12-10 140lbs
  • Biceps Curls 10-10 65lbs
  • Dips 12-12
I plan on doing some ab work tonight while watching the Olympics (though that damned paper is still not finished!!!), but I had to get the hell out of that gym. After I ice... And a glass of Scotch...

Oh yeah, weigh in: 196 1/4 lbs. Dehydration perhaps? I hope not; feelin' good.

Update: Got in 150 bicycle crunches in sets of 50 while watching Phelps manhandle the 200 freestyle world. That guy is the Tiger Woods of swimming. It's a shame that we collectively only care once every four years... But hey, it's swimming and I am not deluded.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Frayed Laces said...

Hehe love your paragraph about the dudes. I can so picture the same thing from back in my gym days

August 12, 2008 at 1:49 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

We don't have those "guys" at Good Life, they tend to go to the "Jock Gym" where they can adjust themselves amongst themselves!!!

Good job on the abs, core work baby, core work!

ps, coming home to T.O. for the Half Marathon on Sept 28!

August 12, 2008 at 6:35 AM  
Blogger Vava said...

lily: Nice! I am so not ready for anything with the word "marathon" in it, but I hear great things about the Waterfront event. I'm starting to look for a 10k race, perhaps as early as this October. Any advice?

August 12, 2008 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger N.D. said...

You are doing way better than me with the no running. Nice job! Love the guys at the gym images.

August 12, 2008 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Reply: Thanks n.d.! What's helping is this paper I have to submit on Friday, so I have set Saturday as the first day back running. It will be next to impossible to keep me from running after that and I'll be trying to limit distance (not that I run very long at this point at all!). I look forward to your post announcing that the knee is 100%. Cheers! - Vava

August 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hi and thanks for the great link and blog to read about running every single day!!! That is so freakin amazing!! Please check out my running blog at http://runningdowndreams.wordpress.com/. Let me know what you think!!!

M

August 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home