Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Allergic to Weights

Ragweed... The season has started with vengeance. I was not a happy camper today, but sat through a full day of meetings going through a forest's worth of tissues, making people nervous... That part was ok, but the allergies suck.

After getting home I was going to take a shower, but felt that I should at least have some athletic reason for doing that, so I headed for the gym. The workout was not inspired and I felt both tired and weak, a combo that can easily lead to injury for us accident prone types. Happy to report that I did not get injured, but given that I opened the door, the knee is still feeling less than ok. It's a bit of a catch-22 - I have weak quads, which most likely is the root of the problem, but can't strengthen them too much because of the friggin' knee...

Oh yeah, I forgot to report on the book. I finished The Perfect Mile on the weekend and the accolades were well deserved. If my knee wasn't an issue I'd be out there running intervals right now!!! Too many highlights to mention, but I especially like the story of Bannister and the Brits, on their way to Vancouver through Montreal, using penny farthings to buy pop in a machine that spat out Canadian change that was worth more than they paid! I know that Canadians have a reputation for being nice, but this is ridiculous!!!

The training plan calls for starting some intervals tomorrow, but I don't think that will be wise. We'll see...

Details:

  • 10 minute warmup on stationary bike

  • Bench Press 12-12-12 135lbs

  • Seated Rows 12-12-12 120lbs

  • Military Press 12-12 95lbs

  • Lat Pulldowns 10-10 145lbs

  • Biceps Curls 10-10 65lbs

  • Dips 12-12

  • Bicycle Crunches 50-50

  • Ab Machine 15-15 125lbs

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger BeachRunner said...

Nice job with the weight training. If you do those intervals (probably not a good idea) be sure to take it easy on the knee. Hope you feel better (allergies, knee, etc).

August 20, 2008 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

I had allergies really bad at this time of year, until I was about 25, and they just stopped!

FYI.. I don't see the Flyers going after Mats. They are up against the cap, and if anything need to upgrade at defense.

August 20, 2008 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

Mile is a good read. I remember thinking that I hoped the Australia would be the firt to do it - even though I already knew the ending - just because he seemed to want it so much more.

August 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Oooohhh I'll have to put that book on my list. Thanks :-) Great job with that weight training. Dang!

August 20, 2008 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Ragweed is my downfall,

I must get reading these fantastic book recommendations....get that knee stronger, you're on the right track.

August 21, 2008 at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home