Saturday, August 16, 2008

Back at it! 5km run

First: WOW! Just watched Bolt win the 100m, and WOW! It is (or will be) Usain Bolt day in Jamaica.

Went for a 5km run along the canal in Ottawa with my wife, which was really cool since we don't get to run together almost ever these days. We saw lots of other runners out there, and in particular couples that looked in way too good a shape for us to be sharing the same pavement. My urge to clothesline was at an all time high, but my sweet wife, as always, was the sober yin to my raging yang, and the strangers passed unaware of the danger that almost befell them... As we neared the end of our grueling trek I held out my hand and asked my wife if she wanted to go over the cliff ala Thelma and Louise (I've been told I look like Geena Davis). She said "no", so I tried other dynamic duos: Butch and Sundance? - no. Bert and Ernie? - no. Batman and Robin? - no. Starsky and Hutch? - no. Simon and Simon? - no. McMillan and Wife? - no. Grover and Cookie Monster? - YES!



I was Grover, and we finished our 5km...

I am trying to get back into running with this friggin' knee thing, and I was a bit worried when it was not feeling very good at the beginning of the run. We walked the 10 minutes to get to the canal so I thought the warmup was sufficient, but in the first few steps I felt tightness below the kneecap. It wasn't that bad, and I was determined to hold a slow pace in the 6:00/km range, so there was no question of continuing on. By the second kilometre the knee was feeling better, and I was concentrating on my technique to minimize impact as much as possible. In the end we finished 5km in just over 30 minutes and walked home. My knee felt quite good on the walk home, and now I have finished icing and will stretch later on a bit more.

One last thought: as we ran I began to wonder if maybe I am a candidate for one of those thingy's that I see some people wear just under their knee. I have no idea what they're called, or what they do, but here's a pic of Nadal wearing them:



The details:



And the google image of the route.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger BeachRunner said...

LOL at your thoughts of clotheslining the other runners. Grover needs to sit up straight, breathe in deeply, and repeat after me ... ohhhmmmmmmmm. LOL

Some may say you look like Geena Davis (ROFL), but you are all MAN when it comes to running this weekend. Great job, sounds like a nice time with your wife (err I mean Cookie Monster), and nice pace considering the knee issues.

August 16, 2008 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Great on your 5K running with your wife...

Once i finish my dang laundry i'm out the door for a run, but i'm so hungry right now! I usually do not eat before a run but i may have to!!!

Take care Grover!

August 17, 2008 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger Carly said...

Nice job running with your wife. I wish I could get my hubby to run with me. Even if we were able to do it at the same time, he refuses to run with me. LOL.

I hope you knee issues get better soon.

August 17, 2008 at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home