Monday, August 18, 2008

5km Run, Soaking Wet

Got the 5km run in as planned, though I timed it to coincide with the worst downpour of a thunderstorm. (We've averaged what seems like almost one a day this summer and records for rain totals have been smashed for this city.) Owen's baseball game started in beautiful sunshine, but by the end I knew I was in for it as the clouds had rolled in and the wind was picking up. After getting home I headed out while it was still dry, but at the 1km mark the downpour started. It was pretty cool running in the rain, and in the end the rain only lasted for about fifteen minutes, so the walk at the end was dry. I think that running in the rain is ok, but walking might not be so much fun. Relegated to the dumbass category is my wearing of sunglasses on top of the baseball hat without knowing it... They were my wife's and I'm sure glad that I didn't lose them while running. At least the people on the street that I passed must have thought that I had been running for a looooooong time to still have them on me!

The pace was faster than I had planned, but not by much. I managed the 5km in 28:28 instead of the 30:00 flat I was trying for. The knee felt tight and the tendon at the front under the kneecap is not yet fully healed. It is very frustrating to not be able to just run fast. This hardly felt like a workout and I really had to hold back. I may have to see the physio once she returns from Beijing...

On the shoe front I discovered there is a New Balance store downtown that carries all sizes and widths. I hope that something there works, though I've never felt good in a NB shoe. That being said, I've never been fitted for one either.

Details:



Google image.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

Ooohhh I *heart* running in the rain (as long as there are no thunderstorms LOL) It's the best time to run :-)

August 19, 2008 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

This weather has been crazy! I was out 10K and saw the storm heading in our direction...yikes...

Running Room will special order shoes for you, go to your local one and have them bring a pair of shoes in for you, may take up to three weeks however.

August 19, 2008 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

LOL at the hat and glasses.

Good luck finding a nice pair of kicks. I know it is frustrating, but dont be afraid to walk out shoeless if they don't feel right.

August 19, 2008 at 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like running in the rain as long as it isn't cold out. I think it makes me run faster too.

Take care of the knee and keep icing it. Good luck with the shoe fitting.

August 19, 2008 at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home