Friday, August 29, 2008

Vacation Report, Running Barefoot

So, as expected our short vacation in Prince Edward County was great, and wireless internet was not to be had. The place we were staying, having advertised "high speed wireless internet", was anything but ready to supply this convenience. The guy at the front desk seemed a bit put out when I asked him about logging on, and mumbling something about having problems with their service gave me the pass phrase for the wireless network for a Bed and Breakfast three doors over. The pilfered connection was not strong enough and so internet access was none...

Anyway, we had a great time on this short getaway. What with graduate degrees and such vacation days have been hard to come by, so our vacations seem to always be way too short and way too cheap. They are always fun though. Here are some pics of the place:




I'll spare you the requisite pictures of the kids frolicking in the sand and water, and the wife looking displeased that I am taking her picture... So domestic.

On the running front: We drove up on Tuesday and so the usual weights that I would have done that day were off, as they would be on Thursday. I did manage to get a run in on Wednesday. It was along the beach, barefoot! A nice easy 5km, with entertainment to boot: After about a kilometer and a half I came across an old man sitting cross-legged and completely nude. Before I could avert my eyes I'd seen too much, and was left with the thought that I'd have to pass him again on the way back. The beach then became rocky and I was distracted with the job of dodging rocks so as to prevent extra injury. In this mode I continued down the beach, running sometimes on any softer parts I could find and sometimes in the shallow water, and was quite content until I came across something that made the Jabba the Hut impersonator seem tame in comparison.

For the record, I am not at all passing judgement here and feel that if you are not hurting anyone do whatever the hell you like. However, on a public beach at least pay attention to who is coming towards you!!! The three gay guys engaged in an orgy were obviously too occupied to see me bumbling along, and I too occupied with dodging rocks, that we were not aware of each others presence until the very last moment. I mumbled something like "sorry" (for what I don't really know) and they "disengaged", for want of a better word and lunged for towels...

So, I still had another kilometre to go before my turnaround point, and now I had to face these three and Mr. Nude on my return path... Not to mention the rocks. My worries were unwarranted as the gay guys were well behaved as I ran past, and the nude Father Time was wading into the water about twenty metres out. I completed my run at a leisurely pace and was none the worse for the experience...

Garmin don't lie:



Today we returned early on account of a rainy and overcast day, and I managed a quick workout at the gym. Nothing special, felt weak, had no lunch, blah blah blah...
Tomorrow I up the mileage to 7km. Can't wait! Knee's still lingering, but I am optimistic.

Details:

  • 10 minute stationary bike warmup

  • Bench Press 12-12-10 135lbs

  • Seated Rows 12-10-10 120lbs-140lbs-140lbs

  • Military Press 12-12 95lbs

  • Lat Pulldowns 10-10 145lbs

  • Biceps Curls 12-10 65lbs

  • Dips 12-12

  • Bicycle Crunches 50-50-50

Weigh in: 195lbs!!! Not sure if this was because of the lunch I missed eating, or something else. I certainly did not maintain a great diet while on vacation... Anyway, this is how much I weighed when I started my current desk job, and now have lopped off about 16lbs since the beginning of the year when I was at my all-time heaviest.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger BeachRunner said...

You never know what you will find on the beach. All in all it sounds like a wonderful family vacay. Nice job getting a 5k run in too.

August 30, 2008 at 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to get aways and enjoy some family time. You certainly had an interesting run!

August 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Nice run, in more ways than one!!!

Michelle

August 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Great pictures! I can't believe you ran into those people, that's crazy!

September 1, 2008 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

Unbelievable story! I guess that those sorts of stories don't happen unless you are out there doing it! Keep it up!

September 3, 2008 at 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home