Monday, September 8, 2008

A Slow 8k Run

My last run report generated a couple of comments about the whole metric/imperial conversion issue, so to start here is my handy-dandy quick converter chart for everyone's (including my own) benefit:

  • 6:00/km = 9:39/m
  • 5:30/km = 8:51/m
  • 5:00/km = 8:03/m
  • 4:30/km = 7:15/m
  • 4:00/km = 6:26/m
  • 3:30/km = 5:38/m
The above certainly puts other bloggers' training times and PR's in perspective for me. Some of you people are freakin' fast!

Tonight I ran 8k again, but this time nice and slow. The weather was cool and the run was not too bad. The skies were so dark that I totally expected to be soaked the entire run, but it held off until I was nearing the end of my cool down walk. My knee held up and I think the exercises I've been doing are starting to pay off. Also, that calf-stretch contraption I built is also helping. I stand on it for ten minutes or more at a time and coming off of it is a trial because it definitely stretches the hell out of my calves and achilles. Best calf stretches I've ever had, bar none!

As far as the run went, I wanted to go at about a 6:00/km pace, and was successful (5:57). The HR was average 148, with a max of 163 from a long uphill. The route was new for me as I ran further east in Taylor Creek Park than ever before, and was a little worried that my guesstimate of the distance would force me to run or walk a long way back. In fact, the run was feeling so easy that I had visions of running 9km, but in the end (hard as it was) I forced myself to stick to the plan. The plan has been good so far, and the knee is slowly getting better so why mess with it, right? Anyway, it was fun tonight, and that is always a good thing.

Garmin don't lie:



The google image of my route.

Tomorrow the plan is to get my stuff into the locker at the UofT pool and swim a bit. I will be swimming twice a week from now on during lunch time, but am a bit afraid that this will displace my weight workouts and I'll begin to waste away muscle wise. At this point, with my last course starting via distance ed, I still plan on fitting in two weight workouts per week while maintining two off days. I really don't want to go down to just one off day since my wife's exercise plans have to be taken into account when scheduling. We'll see what happens as Summer turns to Fall...

As I was searching for a picture of the UofT pool (and I'm not conviced the above link is correct, but it's close enough for rock'n'roll) I came accross a really cool sand sculpture picture:

And one last nugget, this from Yankee 3rd Baseman Alex Rodriquez when asked about the Toronto Blue Jays, as quoted in the New York Times: “I tell you what, a lot of people should be happy they’re not in the playoff race, because they’d be the scariest team." Thanks A-ROD for that unexpected moment of clarity on your part! (The Jays are currently a half-game ahead of the Yankees and on an 8 game winning streak. I know, I know - both are about as likely to make a playoff run as I am to run a sub 30 minute 10k, but it's nice to see the standings like this...)

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

Ahhhhh yes! Thanks for the conversions! With all the Canadian peeps blogs I read, I get confused :P

September 9, 2008 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Ahh. Much easier for me (math dork) with conversions provided.

Keep working those calves. And isn't A-Rod such a tool? Go Mets.

September 9, 2008 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

I'm sorry but sometimes Garmin do lie (pbtn).

But usually not.

September 9, 2008 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Vava said...

Nitmos: It's true, based on your experiences, but my Garmin is but a young pup and has not yet learned to be dishonest (I hope!).

September 9, 2008 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger Frayed Laces said...

Why can't the US just go with the rest of the world? (That's the inner scientist in me talking)

September 9, 2008 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Ah yes, ARod, the fountain of clarity. :D

I too, thank you for the conversions. I am clearly not some of them people (that are faster than you!) HA.

September 9, 2008 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

I laugh at the conversions, because I am continually converting distances and speeds for my friends south of the border!! Marcy!!!

Glad your legs are holding up! Go Jays Go!!

September 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home