Monday, September 22, 2008

My Muscles is Hurtin Me!

Is it possible that the 36 hour rule is just a cruel myth created to provide a tantalizing glimmer of hope to those suffering from muscle pain? I am now well past hour 48 and continue to wallow in butt/hip/groin crapitude (no pun intended)!!! It's almost like I've decided to do squats real heavy after many years off, didn't stretch before or after, and then tried to stand up the next day. If anyone out there has done weights too heavy you know what I'm talking about...

On top of that today was such a drag at work. Not the work itself or anything, I just felt ultra sluggish and couldn't get into it. Perhaps it is the after effects of my sleepless night finally catching up, but I did have a great sleep last night so what gives? I almost always eat my lunch at my desk, and did so today, but by 2pm I was on a major low energy wise and had to go searching for food, and fresh air. In the last week or so I've had major junk food cravings, and today was the worst. I am not giving in since I am afraid of another gastrointestinal issue like last week, so I headed out in search of a healthy snack. I managed to snack on two bananas that I found at a grocer around the corner, but even this felt like it was too sweet somehow. The walk was great; sunny, cool and crisp.

And for the parents out there, and to neighbourly relations as a general rule, my boys in all their brilliance decided to pour buckets of water down the dryer vent of the house bordering our driveway! Yes, boys and holes are a dangerous mix - the holes are just too tempting, and the boys are just too... We may be buying a new dryer in the near future, but not for ourselves. Many things ran through my mind as our neighbour was explaining the flood in her basement and the potential damage to her appliance, but on top of the list was "where the hell were we during all this?" You can't leave them alone for a second!

In any case, neither my lethargy, my stiff muscles, or my offspring are going to slow me down. The ankle may do that all by itself quite effectively, thank you very much! But not muscle pain et al. I went out rollerblading again and am hoping that this will work out the kinks, and give me some respite from those unruly kids who my wife simply must get under control, and I must stay out of the way while the child rearing occurs... The ankle is still feeling a bit off, but I am hoping that by Wednesday I will be able to run again. I forgot to bring an ice-gel pack to work today and was not on the icing routine, but seem none the worse for wear.

Anyway, back to the rollerblading (man is this ever a scattered post!)... I went back to the same track to do another hour or so of rollerblading, but this time I wanted to get my heart rate a little bit higher than last. It was a little tough getting into it since I was so sore, but I cranked up the all AC/DC channel on the satellite radio and started to move faster as "Whole Lotta Rosie" came on. It's amazing how swinging your arms will get that heart rate moving up. I guess doing that forces you to take longer strides, or something. Whatever it was I was moving faster and got my heart rate up to a max of 163, and an average of 135. I managed a little over 18k in about an hour and this was definitely more of a workout that last time. As much fun as this was and all, I'd rather be running and hope to do so on Wednesday.

Garmin don't lie.

And a final word: could the Yankee Stadium sendoff have gotten any more gushy and melodramatic or what?!?! I did love the Roger Clemens snub though! And the guy who sang "God Bless America" is just freaking unbelievably good - chills on the last note. Chills.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger joyRuN said...

Ugh - sounds like you're having a tough time! Hang in there, & I hope it gets better for you QUICK.

September 23, 2008 at 1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suppose you don't want to hear that for some people DOMS can take up to 48 hours to set in...

As for the neighrbour's dryer... holy crap. It would never occur to me to tell my son not to do that... you know... I just would have been oh-so ticked at the kids.

Hope the ankle starts to feel better.

September 23, 2008 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Wow homie! Sounds like you're having one hack of a time. Hang in there!

OMFG I would DIE if my kids did that. I feel for you. Although I also thank you because it NEVER even occurred to me that they'd do something like that. Now I'll have to be on the lookout. Kids are so crafty LOL.

September 23, 2008 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Dang that stinks. I feel your pain (the muscle kind and the kid induced kind). If it makes you feel any better my left hammy still is tight. You could really use some Carvel cake.

September 23, 2008 at 8:27 AM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

Haven't you had a rain storm recently that you could blame this dryer situation on?

Make the kids do the neighbors laundry by hand as punishment.

September 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home