Thursday, September 25, 2008

Another Day Gone Swimmingly

Work has been a little nuts as we prepare for a major network migration, and I am the lead for the project so stress, stress, stress... That wasn't going to keep me from my lunchtime swim, though I probably should have stayed back and monitored the situation. What's 45 minutes, I figured? In the end that won't make any difference.

Today I swam 1500m straight in about 22 minutes, once again maintaining a 1:30/100m pace. It was a bit harder than on Tuesday mostly because my shoulders were tired. I then managed another 200m warm down for a total of 1700m in about 26 minutes, then got back on the bike as fast as I could and headed back to the office and the myriad of messages, both voice and electronic, that awaited me there.

On the ankle front, I am quite pleased with how this gimpy appendage feels today. I certainly expected more pain, but it seems to be holding up well. I think if things continue like this I will be able to get that 10k run in on Saturday morning! I have been slowly adding one kilometre per week since the beginning of August to get to this point and feel like 10k is a great milestone. I would like to keep adding onto the distance until I am running my longest in the 15k range, but that depends on how the body responds. This winter the theme will be getting the legs stronger so that next spring I can avoid as much of the nagging aches and pains that I think are attributable to my relative weaknesses in this area. For now, I am happy with how things are progressing and keep telling myself to hold back.

Saturday, I will be taking Owen to Ashbridges Bay Park so that he can run the cross-country course that he will be competing on with his school in a couple of weeks. This is a great idea by the kids' coach, who will be there to help them (and us parents) out. I will have to get my run in pretty early, or in the afternoon should I sleep in too late. In any case, this should be fun for all, and perhaps I will be introduced to another good running spot.

Lastly, you may have noticed a subtle change to my stated goal at the top of this blog. I have changed "to get back in shape" to "to become a runner". I feel like I am in pretty good shape now, having sustained a good routine of at least three workouts per week since last January, shedding about 20lbs of useless flab in the process, and feel like I have reached this first goal. Now I have my sights set on something else, to achieve enough proficiency in running to call myself a runner.

Tonight, another weights routine awaits. Until then, keep your sticks on the ice!

The weights update:

  • 10 minute stationary bike warm up
  • Bench Press 12-12-12 135lbs
  • HS Seated Rows 12-12-12 180lbs
  • Dumbell Shoulder Press 12-12 40lbs
  • Chin Ups 5-4-3-2-1 (yikes!)
  • Biceps Curls 12-12 60lbs
  • Triceps Kickbacks 12-12 15lbs
  • Captain Chair Crunches 20-20-20-20 (WTF!!! These kicked my ass!)
And Thanks Marcy for your comment - You are too kind!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger BeachRunner said...

Nice swim. I am glad to read some good news about your ankle. Let's hope that continues to improve.

Good luck to you and Owen with the cross country run. What fun and a great idea.

And finally, way to go on achieving your initial goal and setting a new one. Well done! (Hockey preseason is upon us, so "lets go Rangers").

September 25, 2008 at 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the major network migration. It sounds stressful. What great news about the ankle feeling better. Hope it continues to heal.

I am sure reviewing the cross country course with Owen will help ease some nerves.

September 25, 2008 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

You already are one ;-)

September 25, 2008 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Hi -- thanks for stopping over at my blog!!

OK, I love the title of your blog. Wonky is one of my favorite words. And, Owen is one of my favorite names, since it is my husband's name!

As for becoming a runner, hey, you run, right? Then you are a runner!

September 25, 2008 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Frayed Laces said...

Way to go! I am so jealous of your swimming ability--hopefully I can build my strength back up like you!

Good luck to Owen this weekend!

September 26, 2008 at 4:15 AM  
Blogger N.D. said...

That's good for swimming, wow. I think it takes me 30 minutes to do 1700.

September 26, 2008 at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home