Thursday, October 23, 2008

Easy Maintenance Day, Preparing to Pop the Cherry

As I prep for the 10k I am in uncharted territory as far as what I should be doing leading up to Sunday's start time. What to eat? How much to rest? How much should I be staying off my foot? Did that peanut butter cookie ruin everything? How many litres of water should I be chugging every hour? Do I have to obey the laws of thermodynamics?

Anyway, these things will fall into place I'm sure, and I am going to have a blast!

I swam again at lunch - 1500m in 22:30. Not bad, but the pool was super busy today. All the people in my lane were experienced swimmers and everything was cool as far as passing went, which was refreshing.

Then after work I went out for a real easy 5k mostly because I felt it was prudent to get a short run in and avoid five full days of no running leading into Sunday. I really held back and went slow, trying my best to minimize the pounding on the foot. It still feels tight, which is not surprising, but I want to let it heal as much as possible before running hard. One more treatment with the doctor awaits tomorrow morning, and then I am on my own for the weekend.

Garmin don't lie.


View Larger Map

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Frayed Laces said...

rest rest rest before your raceday!

October 24, 2008 at 12:54 AM  
Blogger Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Pfft! Newbies!

You do NOT have to obey the so-called "laws" of thermodynamics! (Do they even have jurisdiction in Canada?) All I know is, I never voted for 'em so I just ignore them.

And they're not really laws. They're more suggestions, like "You should wear layers in the cold" or "You shouldn't kill other people." You ignore either of those, what're they gonna do? Put you in jail? Like that's ever happened!

(Just don't spit on the sidewalk. Voice of experience talking here. They're serious about that one.)

So I been thinking ... when you come in at exactly 44:37, I think my prize should be Prince Edward Island. (Not the people, just the island. I don't wanna be accused of trafficking in slaves ... again. Turns out they're serious about that law, too.) Come on! You guys aren't really using it.

Or just send me a clump of frozen Canadian tundra. Make sure it stays frozen. Pack it in something thermal, like a Sh*t Box. (<--Not an admission that I bow to the "laws" of thermodynamics. Just in case, is all.)

Good luck, brother. Get rest - a good night's sleep. That's the best advice I have.

October 24, 2008 at 5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest and just do what you have been doing. You are going to have a great time. No worries.

October 24, 2008 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Stop worrying homie. Rest, relax and get ready to have a blast.

October 24, 2008 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Rest, relax, and HAVE FUN THIS WEEKEND!! WHOOOOO HOOOOO!!! ;D ;D

October 24, 2008 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger KimsRunning said...

Good luck and have F-U-N!!!! Take in the surroundings, helps keep your mind off feeling tired.

45 minutes before a race I have a Slim Fast and a banana. The nutrients in the SF are high and keeps me energized, the banana has kept me from calf cramping. Only thing is, you wanna try that little mixture out before race day....LOL.

Didja make a playlist for the race???

I think you'll come in at 44:22.

October 24, 2008 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger B. Kramer said...

Rest up, eat well (but not too much) and stop worrying. You'll have a great time. I love the 10K. Good luck.

October 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Vava, I'm just catching up...boy you and the Mrs. have had a lot going on!

Good luck this weekend...Niagara?? Hey no "horseplay" the night before...LOL JK!!

You'll be fine, it'll be just like a run at the canal. Just don't change anything that you've done before any of the training runs! You're going to be GREAT! Good luck to the Mrs. too please!

October 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Marlene said...

You're gonna have so much fun!!! 10K is a great distance. Good luck!

October 24, 2008 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger blotka1234 said...

... you'll do it! ... the most important thing is to ENJOY! ... that was my feeling when i ran my first and the second 10k race (the only two i have ever participated in :-)) ... blotka1234

October 24, 2008 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

thanks for checkin' out my blog! Have an amazing time this weekend, enjoy, and trust your training -- rest up, and looking forward to your race report!

October 24, 2008 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger The Desert Douchehunter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Have fun with your first 10k. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

October 24, 2008 at 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home