Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Contemplating the Future

Well, I couldn't get onto blogger.com yesterday for some reason, which I guess is just as well since I had a tonne of schoolwork to catch up on and didn't need to report on my "general body soreness", a favorite term in the NHL when the team doesn't want to let anyone know what the actual injury to a player is...

It seems that Blogger has been giving me issues when publishing posts for over a month, and I'm beginning to wonder how reliable this thing is. Perhaps I should switch to publishing straight to a blogspot.com account? If anyone has experience with publishing using ftp and a similar history of problems please let me know if switching is the right move, or if publishing to blogspot.com is also ripe with problems.

And yes, I am sore! My foot is definitely plantar fasciitising, and my quads are so stiff it is excruciating going up, and especially down, stairs. But it was definitely worth it, and in fact I'd probably be a little upset with myself if I wasn't sore.

This afternoon I went for a short and easy lunchtime swim and managed 1200m in about 18 minutes. I am not going to the gym tonight, instead choosing to rest my legs. I have another treatment scheduled for Thursday and I hope that the pain subsides by then since the treatment I received on Monday morning was super painful! (In a good kind of way, but pretty close to unbearable...)

However, the racing bug has got a good hold of me and I am already contemplating my next race. The one that seems like it will be a lot of fun, and far enough off in the future to allow for good recovery and a resumption of training, is the Hamilton Boxing Day 10 miler. This year will mark the 88th straight year for this event, put on exclusively by volunteers from the Hamilton Harriers Running Club. Apparently the route for the race has been the same since day one! Although I am not ready to run 16 kilometres, I think I will have enough time to prepare for the distance and I will not be running this as a race, but rather for fun and to finish. Also, one can register with the option to get some pretty good gear such as running tights and a jacket, two things I need anyway so this seems to be a perfect marriage of swag and racing fun!

The other one that also seems great, though a bit farther off in the future, is the Around the Bay race, also in Hamilton, at the end of March. That one is a 30km race, and is the oldest long distance race in North America. Yes, even older than the Boston Marathon!

In the spring I will be once again trying to go under 45 minutes in the 10k, most likely during the Ottawa Race Weekend events in May, but I figure getting some longer races under my belt, and running them to finish rather than to exhaustion, will be great motivation and training for a fast 10k. Sound good? It does to me, but I am tired and sore so who knows what this will feel like in the morning.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making a race schedule is fun. All the races you have chosen look great. Just make sure your foot is feeling good.

October 29, 2008 at 7:52 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

I agree with D. The races sound great. Just don't neglect the therapy, recovery and continued health of your feet.

October 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

A 10-miler! Wow, you have the racing bug, for sure!

October 29, 2008 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Look at you, plotting your next moves! Sweet! Make sure you take care of that foot ;-)

October 29, 2008 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A 10-miler is a great distance to train for - a great bridge between the 10k and the half marathon. 30k is a pretty tough distance, especially without ever doing any half marathons. You are right about the extra distance training making you stronger for lowering your 10k time. Just make sure to keep up some speedwork. Sounds like an exciting spring either way.

October 29, 2008 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Aron said...

ohhh looks like a fun race schedule!! its so fun to plan ahead to them :) take care of that foot!!

October 29, 2008 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

They say run more to get faster so I'm sure your plan will work. Races rock eh!

October 30, 2008 at 3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home