Sunday, November 9, 2008

5k Test Drive

I'm not really 100% as far as being pain free in the foot or anything, but I think I am on the way to recovery enough to start back slowly into running. The added motivation of my new pair of shoes also had me itching to run, and so I hit the gym and it's treadmill today. I had to test drive the new sneakers, after all. And since I can return them as long as I try them out indoors, the treadmill was my only option.

I walked for ten minutes to loosen up and then started off at 6.2mph on my planned 30 minute run. This equated to a 5k at 6:00/km pace, also known as nice and slow. It was certainly not a cardio workout or anything, but at least it was something two weeks to the day after my first race. The foot felt fine for the first twenty minutes or so and then started to tighten up a bit. The shoes felt great, and I did not feel like they were forcing me to pronate the same way that the New Balance 1062s did, which I still think was the cause on my foot pain in the arch. In short, I think the Mizuno Wave Inspiration 4s made a great first impression, and I will hit the treadmill again this week to continue to test them out during the return/exchange period.

Afterwards I spent about a half hour dipping my foot in ice water for a minute, then hot water for a minute, etc... I think this helps, though at the beginning it certainly was not what I consider fun. I can't imagine sitting in an ice bath!

One last thought: does anyone else feel like they are neglecting their Garmins when using a treadmill? I sure do! Nothing to plug into the laptop, no metrics, no graphs... Feels like I've only half-ran or something.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad to hear the run went well! i can't imagine an ice bath either. You can purchase a footpod for the Garmin for indoor use (ie. treadmill) if you want to get the data... http://www.gpsmart.ca/item1242.htm i used this site to get an accessory for my bike, quick shipping, etc. just thought i'd share.

November 9, 2008 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

Good luck with the new shoes!
Nothing better than running in brand new rides, kinda like when you slap 4 new tires on your car!

As far as the ice bath, everyone raves about their effectiveness, but now way could I do it!

November 9, 2008 at 9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like your road to recovery is going well. Way to ease yourself back in to running. I agree, new shoes get me excited too.

November 10, 2008 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Sounds good :-)

Yeah ice baths . . .no way no how LMAO!

November 10, 2008 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Good job homie. The shoes sound like a winner and your icey dip on the foot is really smart. Keep it up.

November 10, 2008 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

I've considered getting the footpod for my Garmin but it's quite pricey here in NZ.

November 10, 2008 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear the foot is coming along.

Ice baths are rough, but they are very effective, too.

November 10, 2008 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Aron said...

ice baths arent so bad once you get used to them :)

glad the foot is feeling a little better!! hope it continues to heal and the new shoes help!

November 10, 2008 at 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home