Monday, December 7, 2009

Another Busy Weekend

Man, it seems like the weekends are flying by and getting busier and busier! No rest until the New Year, I suspect, but at least I am still getting my runs in despite all the other stuff that needs to get done.

This weekend we celebrated my Dad's 65th Birthday and retirement, which meant a lot of cleaning of the house ahead of the Sunday evening dinner. We went a little overboard on some things (case in point, dismantling and cleaning the sliding patio doors), and didn't touch others, but all in all everything went well.

In amongst all that prep work I managed to run twice. On Saturday morning I encouraged Owen to come with me for a short run, and even got Malcolm in on the act. Owen and I ran 2km together, then picked up Malcolm for another kilometre for a total of 3km. It was chilly out, near freezing, but definitely fun. Then we had an energy audit conducted on our house, after which I took Owen to get measured for his jersey for baseball "spring training" - they start indoor workouts at the beginning of January and go every weekend right through until the end of April.

On Sunday Owen said his heel hurt a little bit (little guy needs new running shoes, me thinks) and so I went off on my own for another easy run. This time I ran 5km. It also marked the first time since last winter that I ran in below freezing temperatures as the thermometer read -0.5C when I left.

Running wise it was a good recovery week. My calf hurt a bit, but I think I've traced the issue to doing some extra calf raises that tired the muscle out a bit so I am not worried about it. It didn't bother me very much on the weekend, but clearly I need to strengthen my calves. My total for the week was a meagre 13km. This week I will try and run a bit more, though I must admit that this slow build up in mileage is getting on my nerves. I just wish my body would accept a more aggressive approach, but I'm afraid that is not to be. Just have to stay the course...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

It's good you are getting the runs in even though it's busy. My weekends are packed solid till the new year as well!

December 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep holding back and taking things slow. it is hard to not dive in and push it. But, your body will thank you in the long run.

December 11, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home