Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Good Morning Boiler!

This morning ended up a bit different than the norm.

I woke up just before 6am to this loud vibrating and buzzing noise that sounded like something was not happy and about to leak or blow up. I suspected the new boiler that we'd had installed a couple of weeks ago and went down to the utilities room in the basement to discover that, indeed, this was the source of the disturbance. We're not very happy about our new high-efficiency boiler making all this noise and waking us up, though it does heat the house up really quickly, and we will be following up with the company that installed it, but for the moment I was able to at least muffle the noise a bit by shoving a sponge between the gas pipe and the water pipe that were vibrating like crazy and hitting against each other. I also moved the front panel on the boiler itself a bit until the noise was slightly better, though I had to go through some spots where it would rattle like we were in the middle of an earthquake or something.

Anyway, with the boiler having woken me up, and it being a little past 6 in the morning, I felt that I had a decision to make. Go back to bed for twenty minutes before the alarm wakes me up once more, or head out for the 3km run that I was planning to do in the evening?

I chose the run! It was nice to be out with the City just waking up (people in cars rushing off to beat the traffic, shoving handfuls of something that was supposed to resemble breakfast as they went by was somewhat entertaining), and I do not do this enough. Never have, and probably never will.

I ran all the way without the walking breaks that I've been taking since getting back into running, and felt none the worse for wear. Maybe is was the reading of Dean Karnazes' book "50/50" that inspired me to do an early morning jog?

Whatever it was, I'm certainly glad to have had the opportunity to do it. So, thank you boiler!

Now shut the %^$& up!!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home