Friday, September 18, 2009

Alright... Time for Another Update

Seeing as I am not running I figured now's the time to do something I've been thinking about doing for about a year or two. I have decided to get some "minor" surgery (if there is such a thing) done on my right leg to clear up circulation issues that I've had for years. Though I've been told that these have nothing to do with my ankle injury, I am not convinced. It seems that the original injury was also the start of these issues, so how can they NOT be related?

Anyway, I have no idea if this will help with the ankle (which, mercifully, has not been a major issue for quite some time), but it needs to get done finally. It will also mean that I will be off the road for a few weeks afterwards, which will add up to almost two months of no running for me. By then the knees should be fully recovered and I can, hopefully, begin to slowly work my way towards building a good base over the course of the Fall and Winter months. Not that much has gone according to plan, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that, come next June, I will have an awesome base and will have been running somewhere in the 40-60km per week range for several months. Then, when I start training for my first marathon, my body will be better prepared for the effort.

It's still a bummer that I can't run, but I am looking and thinking long term. I also have to keep rollerblading, start doing some strength exercises for the legs, and get my membership at the UofT pool renewed so I can start swimming again. I have to keep my weight in check since I've gained 5lbs in the past 2-3 weeks (yikes!). Lots to think about...

I think the hardest thing about this surgery is that I am not allowed to drink ANY coffee for 24 hours prior to the procedure. Nuts!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

good luck with the surgery, and wishing you a speedy recovery

September 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

No coffee for 24 hours??!? Are you sure this is worth it? :)
Good luck with it all.

September 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too wonder if the condition is related to your ankle. Sounds like a smart plan to get the surgery.

September 18, 2009 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Jen Feeny said...

Good for you! I think this is a great idea and who knows... it may help a ton! My cousin just did a similiar procedure and says she can feel the difference. Good luck!

September 18, 2009 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

I hope your surgery goes/went well!

September 20, 2009 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Good luck with the surgery! Hope it goes well and that the recovery is fast.

September 21, 2009 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

I hope it helps!

September 24, 2009 at 3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home