Sunday, August 9, 2009

Long, Slow, and Humid

As I type this there is a wicked thunderstorm happening right over my head. Well, I'm indoors, but the time between the lighting and thunder is zero at the moment and I am a bit worried that our house will get hit at some point. I suppose this has been brewing all day, given how humid it's been. We had a pretty big rain storm earlier, but right now it's like nothing that I've ever seen. The lighting is going off every second, though mostly cloud to cloud. It's like a fireworks show really.

Anyway, I did run this morning once more in my return from that pesky calf strain. Got up a bit later than I wanted to, so by the time I was out it was well past 8am and already hot and sticky. No real problem given that I wanted to run slow, but I was sure happy to have a bottle of Gatorade with me. I didn't bring any water, but did stop for a big drink at a water fountain in Taylor Creek Park. Other that that it was OK. Early in the run I had to adjust my stride a bit since I was feeling just a hint of that calf, but the tightness went away gradually. Towards the end of the run the outside of the left knee tightened up and I stopped a couple of times to stretch, which seemed to help make the discomfort go away for a couple of kilometres each time.

I ran a total of 20km in 1:58:57 for an average pace of 5:56/km (9:34/mile). The heart rate averaged out to 149bpm, raised mostly by the last few kilometres when I was really running out of steam. This evening, after swimming with the boys and then coaching yet another baseball game, the calf tightened up a bit more, which is worrisome. It may mean no more running until Wednesday, but I'll have to see how it feels tomorrow.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you are running again, but bummer about the calf pain. Keep taking things slow and going with the flow.

August 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger X-Country2 said...

Don't you love that Garmin map? You can really appreciate how far you went to see it like that.

Hope the calf heals up soon.

August 12, 2009 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

At least you are out there again. Bully for that!

You sure you have well fitted shoes? A poor fit - or worn shoes - could exasperate problems. I'm sure you know this but thought I'd mention it just to be a pain.

August 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home