Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Decisions, Decisions...

Stick with the Full Marathon, or drop down and do the Half?

Over the past week I've been going through a bit of a training lull - the proverbial "valley" in the whole "peaks and valleys" theory, as it were. My recent post-race calf cramp experience has forced me to abort one run and miss another, and I am a bit down on account of all that. Perhaps this helps to explain why I've started to entertain thoughts of NOT running the marathon at the end of September, but rather dropping down to the Half-Marathon.

The biggest reason why I am now at this crossroads is that I do not think I will be ultimately satisfied with just crossing the finish line in the marathon. (Weird, I know, since simply finishing is a huge accomplishment.) I think that my training plan will ultimately get me there, but I will likely only be prepared to finish the distance. I would much rather be prepared to run the whole thing properly and cross the finish line strong, sticking to a well defined and reasoned pacing strategy from beginning right to the end. I believe that I will be able to achieve this in the Half-Marathon based on the fact that my weekly mileage and training seems like it may be better suited to racing 21.1k strong, but is just enough to get me through 42.2k (most likely very slowly and painfully over the last 10-15 kilometres).

What should I do? I don't want to bail on the ultimate goal, but I also don't want to finish the marathon and then be forced to take lots of time off because my body will be completely spent. (No matter what speed I go, I suspect that 42.2k will wreak havoc, and given that it takes me a while to recover from shorter races, who knows how long it will take after a marathon.)

I just don't think I can get my mileage high enough for long enough to run a proper race over the longer distance, but I am confident that I will be able to race the Half really well. I will certainly run a marathon sometime in the near future, but I am wondering if it is not prudent to let this milestone wait another year or so. By then I will have been running consistently for over two years and my body will be much more prepared for the mileage demands of a rigorous marathon training program. Right now I just feel like I am achieving the bare minimum to get me through, and I never like doing just the bare minimum, whether in life, training or a race.

I guess what I really want to avoid is an experience that leaves me soured on running for the long term.

Help!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Andrew(ajh) said...

It sounds like you've sort of made up your mind (to do the half), so that is probably the right decision. There is no doubt that crossing the line after my first (and only) marathon was a great moment, even though the last few kms was a real hobble with a sore knee. For me, a marathon where I finish running is a future goal, as is a 4 hour finish time.

For you, being a fair bit younger, wanting run the event strongly is probably an acheivable future goal, so I'd stick with half now, marathon future.

I did find that after my marathon, my desire to run really dropped off for a long time, so that may happen to you too. It does take it's toll.

July 29, 2009 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

Hmm...to be honest I can relate to this.

I seriously considered dropping to the half for my first marathon as my training took quite a hit about 6 weeks before and I knew it would be a struggle.

Having said that I didn't regret doing it. It was a great feeling finishing it and it is something I am quite proud of. Could I have done better? Certainly! But it still meant a lot. It was the training that soured me on running for those 6 weeks as I think I was trying to do too much for my first.

After the marathon I had about 5 weeks where I was not that keen on running but I've got my mojo back now.

I think either way you are likely to have some regrets and some joy so take your pick. For me the pain of dropping to the half outweighed the pain of not achieving my time goal in the marathon. You may feel differently.

July 29, 2009 at 5:25 AM  
Anonymous Greg at Live Fit said...

It's a tough call, but if you don't think you can get your distance up enough to avoid an injury, then you may be making the right decision.

Is there another nearby marathon later this season that you could enter, making this half-marathon part of your training regimen?

July 29, 2009 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger chris mcpeake said...

Continue with your training if possible as if you are going to do the marathon. Over the next few weeks see how it goes. If you cant get the mileage due to injury then you can always switch at the last minute. That also will leave you with the option of running a later marathon (TO or hamilton) if you are close but just not quite there.

Dont rush it tho. Make sure you are trained right before you run it. Honestly I know you want to run it strong and you should have a time goal but its a very long race like no other race you have done. Finishing is a big thing. Until you do one you really dont have a true idea of what it is. I found the knowledge cained from my first marathon to be so important to my training for my second and now my third

good luck ..

July 29, 2009 at 7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you really need to determine where you are and how your body feels. 26.2 miles is a long way to suffer through, if you aren't feeling it. Plus, you have to think about the future (would running the full injure yourself further?) I think you are the only one that can determine what distance you should run. However, I will say, if you run the full make sure you are mentally prepared for it. Good luck. I know what ever you decide will be the right choice and that you will cross the finish line.

July 29, 2009 at 7:47 AM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

I have been going through the same type of funk, but I am going to run 2 full marathons this fall.
I will use my family as a means of inspiration to get me going in the tough mental times.

Best of luck with whatever you do!

July 29, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home