Monday, July 20, 2009

Easy Recovery Run With Owen

Got out for a nice easy post-race recovery run tonight, and I had a friend join me! Owen said he wanted to go to the track with me, so even though I wasn't planning to run at the track I decided right away that my plans were easy to change. He rode his bike beside me as I jogged to the track and then he ran three laps with me. After each of his laps I would continue running while he rested. He ran the first 400m in 2:34, the second in 2:16, and then I paced him around the third 400m to a very impressive 1:56. He was hurting a little bit towards the end of that last lap with a cramp in his side, but he toughed it out nicely and sprinted to the end! He did that last lap at 4:50/km pace, which was very speedy for the little guy I thought.

In the end I ran one more kilometre than I had planned, but it was a nice easy 6km done in 35:17 for an average pace of 5:52/km (9:27/mile). The average heart rate was definitely in the recovery run zone, registering at 126bpm.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I can't wait till Morgan is a little older so we can run together. She asks me all the time.

July 21, 2009 at 8:06 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

Very speedy Mr. Owen. Well done!

Running with the kids ftw!

July 21, 2009 at 11:48 AM  
Anonymous CoachTief said...

That's cool that your son likes to run with you. Keep it fun for him so he stays interested in it.

July 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

Nice job on the recovery run!

July 22, 2009 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

I took my son to the track and his first lap was pretty strong but, when I told him what a recent local 400m track finsh in his age group was like, he suddenly turned it up a notch. The kids are sandbagging us.

July 22, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home