Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sunny Sunday Morning Run

Since we are still in Ottawa I had an opportunity to run once more along the Rideau Canal. This time, it was my long run that I had to complete and I wasn't exactly sure of how my times I'd have to go around to complete the distance so I just started off and decided to go as far as I could towards downtown before having to turn around.

The run started off OK, but within the first five kilometres I could tell that it would be a mental and physical struggle all the way. I wanted to keep a nice even pace and figured that I should be able to complete the planned distance in just under two hours if I went a bit faster than my usual long run pace. I hit the turnaround point still on track, but this was nowhere near halfway and I was a bit worried about keeping going all the way to the end.

All that being said I did succeed. I managed the 22km in 1:59:20 for an average pace of 5:25/km (8:43/mile). As I passed the Half Marathon point I checked the watch and it showed 1:54 and change, which is nice for a training run. The heart rate averaged out to 146bpm, and I'm happy with that overall. The biggest obstacle I had today was my legs - they felt very heavy and hurt most of the time. Not the knees so much, but the muscles. I thought this would be a bit of a recovery week and didn't think I'd run anywhere near the mileage that I did last week, but in the end this week's total was only 1k shy of last week's 45km so I guess I didn't get a break after all. In two weeks I have a ten miler race and perhaps that will be a good time to scale the mileage back and try and use the race as a good tempo run workout.

Today we are off to a cottage for a week and Internet access may be scarce, if at all available. I hope that my IPhone tethering works there, but no guarantees so blog postage may take a week off as well.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

That's a fantastic time for a training run. I'd probably be happy with that for a race!

July 5, 2009 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

Nice pace for your run.
Great job in fighting thru the mental part of running.

July 6, 2009 at 7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to win the battle and hit your goal time. Enjoy the seclusion the cottage will offer! Have lots of fun.

July 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home