Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Swimming Again

Not really all that much to report, and it's getting a bit late and I'm a bit tired so this will likely be a short post. I went for something a little different at the pool this afternoon since the straight 1500m swims have gotten so boring. I set my watch for 3:30 intervals and did 10X200m for a total of 2000m. After each rep I had between 37 and 45 seconds rest, so that means I was swimming a bit faster than the usual 1:30/100m pace, and that was good. A couple of slow people in the lane were not exactly helping out either and I had a bit of an altercation with this one guy who kept getting passed by yours truly and everyone else in the lane, yet he refused to swallow whatever pride he had (along with the chlorinated water that he seemed to ingest with every attempt at a breath) and move over to a more appropriate lane speed-wise. He also had this rather strange serpentine stroke that took up a good three-quarters of the available space so passing him was always a bit perilous with other swimmers heading the other way straight towards me. On one of these occasions I had to squeeze right beside him and ended up pushing him right against the lane rope in order to not collide with the oncoming traffic. I did manage to leave a long scrape down the side of his leg with my fingernails, and no, I did/do NOT feel bad about it.

Tonight was a bit of a hectic night with yet another baseball game to coach. The kids played great and we pulled out a come from behind win, which was nice. More importantly, some of the kids that have been struggling at the plate got some awesome hits. Others made terrific plays in the field that surprised everyone, especially themselves.

By the time I returned home there wasn't time for much other than grabbing some food and icing my knees. I am pretty much finished that and would like to do some light stretching when they warm up. My knees are both feeling a bit off, likely from all the biking and sitting I've had to do at work, but I hope that tomorrow they feel better. Even though it's closing in on 10pm I'd like to think that some sit ups and push ups may still get done...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

ugh, i have the same complaint about lap swimming...

June 16, 2009 at 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to switch up the swimming routine. Glad to hear the boys on the baseball team are improving!

June 17, 2009 at 7:04 AM  
Blogger Running and living said...

Oh, swimming in the pool! So many stories, so little time. It's a sociological experiment in of itself! Good luck surviving! Ana-Maria

June 17, 2009 at 7:30 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

Give that manager a raise!

June 17, 2009 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger C said...

This is one of my concerns about learning to swim properly. I don't want to get in other people's way. Then again, that guy was a total douche for not realizing how much of a slow poke he was. Good on you for doing what you could around him.

June 18, 2009 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Vava said...

Xenia: Good point, though I if he was trying to learn to swim he would have had plenty of room in one of the other lanes marked "Slow" or "Medium Slow". There was one person only in each of those! The problem is that many have trouble self-identifying themselves as anything but "Fast". Perhaps I'd have the same problem in another venue, but I hope that I could keep my ego in check. I certainly have no such issue when it comes to running and will always line up in the proper corral at races because I don't want to get in the way of faster runners.

Thanks for the comment!

June 18, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home