Friday, June 12, 2009

Longer Than Planned

Today was a bit of a weird day to say the least. It started off with Malks feeling sick during the night and then a bit better in the morning. Owen was also not feeling himself, but not nearly as bad as Malcolm. I biked with Owen to his school while Mon took Malcolm to his. When I arrived at work there was a message on my voicemail from Mon saying that Malks didn't even make it to school. Poor little guy...

I worked until lunch and then came home to relieve Monica since she had to go to work to get some stuff finished up before the weekend. When I arrived she was in the middle of cooking lunch, was not ready to leave yet, and so I was able to squeeze in my run. The idea was to go for a nice easy 10k. I got ready as fast as I could and then took off at an easy pace.

It was easily the warmest weather I've run in this entire year. By the time I hit the 4k mark the shirt was off and it was nice running under the shady spots on the trail along the Don River. I then realized that the route I'd chosen would leave me a few kilometres away from the house and walking the rest would force Monica to wait a bit too much. So I started picking up the pace a bit, all the while calculating in my head just how far past 10k I was willing to run. As I ran up the hill at Riverdale Park I was really starting to labour. I stopped at Withrow Park for a drink of water and then kept running, the Garmin now telling me that I was past 11k.

In the end I ran 12k in 1:04:20 for an average pace of 5:21/km (8:37/mile). The pace contributed to a higher heart rate than I really wanted, but I think the heat had more impact than anything else. The average ended up at 159bpm, so I guess this was more of a tempo run type workout even if the pace was not as fast as I would normally hold for this level of effort. This weekend I will have to definitely go nice and easy.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger chris mcpeake said...

Change in temp will get you every time. I always find my HR much higher the first could hot days until my body adjusts. Sounds like it was still a good run for you

June 14, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home