Thursday, June 11, 2009

Is It Even Worth It?

I wonder, as I drag my sorry ass out of the office and up to the pool, if it's even worth it. Not swimming, that I think is a good thing, but rather posting about it. It certainly is good cross training, though I fear I do too little of it. But since last September my lunch time swims have pretty much been the same - 1:30/100m pace no matter what the distance. Case in point: today I managed 1500m in 22:22. I suppose that's a shade under 1:30 pace, but just a shade. That being said I am not swimming to get faster at swimming. I am swimming to get faster at running.

The other thing that I absolutely have been meaning to do, but never seem to find the right time to start, is strength training. Sure, I will do the occasional sit ups, push ups, and chin ups, but there is no consistency with those workouts. And I have not been able to incorporate any leg strength exercises for a couple of reasons: 1. my legs hurt after running and I need the rest; and 2. my legs hurt after running and I don't think it's wise to kick them while they're down.

How does anybody do leg strength stuff between runs? Or perhaps you do it on the days when you run? If so, do you do it before or after your run? I'd like to start doing some basics like lunges and squats, and I guess I should get back into a daily routine of hip flexor and butt strengthening exercises too. It all just seems too much to handle, and I'm only in the first week of marathon training. Yikes!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you work and have kids at home, it is tough to fit in all that you want to do. I think you almost have to fit in strength training on days that you run. However, if you run 4 days a week you can use one of the days you aren't running to strength train. With running I don't think you really need to hit the gym that many days.

Oh, I live reading about your swimming.

June 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

I have been wanting to incorporate more cross-training, strengthening, core work, stretching.. you name it. But running 5 days a week, I have a heck of a time trying to squeeze it in!

June 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

It is tough to start and set up a schedule for marathon training, it becomes a career in itself.

But you have to do it to make it to the finish line. As D10 said, running 4 days per week (distances as per your schedule with one run as a Long Slow Distance), your swimming and cycling will definitely help. But you need to stretch (everyday) and strength train on "days off".

It is a tough haul, but you'll do it....

June 12, 2009 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger chris mcpeake said...

I only do strength training 2 or 3 times a week and only for the upper body and core. Tried doing legs at one point but just seemed to be to much so I dropped that with the exception of the off season Nov - Jan when I was not marathon training. Personally fine my legs need the rest

June 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I almost never do strength training on my legs - that's what all that running is for. I strength train my core mostly, and a bit of upper body work. When you are marathon training, it's hard to have the energy to do much more than that.

June 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Ax said...

I'm always saying I want to do more strength training too, and I can totally relate to how hard it is to fit it in. I am still very inconsistent with it, but I've found doing a few simple exercises before bed or first thing in the morning on non running days has been easiest for me.

June 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home