Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cement Knees

I've been busy and unable to really update as much as I would like, so here I am writing about a run the day after it has happened. After more than a full week off following the Ottawa 5k, partly due to the pain in my left knee that seems to be ITB related, I made it out for what was the first in a long series of training runs leading up (hopefully) to my first marathon at the end of the summer.

Lets just say this was NOT what I expected to feel like after all that rest. As I started out at a slow jog it felt like someone, somehow, had injected both of my knees with contact cement.

In short: Not. Good.

Perhaps timely is this article from today's New York Times that preaches the benefits of the run/walk method in training, leading to not only injury free running, but also PRs among seasoned marathoners. Hmmmm. Perhaps there's something to this, though I would have to beat my competitive brain into submission in order to even contemplate such an approach. That being said, maybe if I at least incorporate short walk breaks on what will be those long training runs in the 30K+ range I may give myself a better chance to arrive at the starting line on September 27th ready to do the whole thing without walking at all. The weird thing about the article though is that it seems these people with their new PRs are taking walk breaks during the race itself. Anybody out there training using this method? I haven't read any running bloggers who use this and am curious to know what traction this run/walk method has among serious and seasoned marathoners.

Anyway, the run was painful and the knee was not cooperating. More rest may help it, sure, but at this point I think a trip to the massage therapist to release the ITB and associated bits and pieces may be in order. I managed to maintain a really slow and steady pace over the whole 5k, completing it in 30:00 at 6:00/km pace (9:39/mile). I hope my body decides to wake up soon and lets me run properly again. At least the foot isn't any worse off from the race or the rest...

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

when i was in the HM clinic, one of the instructors mentioned that a friend of his actually qualified for Boston using this method. Personally I find this easier for me, and understand it's not for everyone, but running is not something I did growing up...

June 2, 2009 at 9:43 PM  
Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

this is like comment tag... lol.

i'm fairly certain that the race was done using the run/walk method... which is why i remember it so vividly. Surely the run portions are probably smokin' fast to accommodate a qualifying time and walk breaks. food for thought anyway, right?

June 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, to hear about the continued knee and ITB issues. I am sure rest will help. Have you been stretching too?

Hope a session with the massage therapist helps.

June 3, 2009 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger chris mcpeake said...

Was actually talking with a bunch of people in my running club last night about this article many of them seasoned marathoners. Had not read it until right now. Pretty much everone was in agreement.. if you are not injured, trained properly and pace your race to your fitness level you will be faster then run walking. The article BTW is written by someone that has not ever run a marathon and constructed around antidotal evidence which is somewhat suspect (in my opinion). However that said whatever works for each individual as we are all different.

June 3, 2009 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

Sorry to hear that the knees still weren't cooperating. I hope the massage helps.

I am also intrigued by the run/walk method. I walked a lot during marathon # 1 but I don't have a game plan yet for my next attempt at Scotia. I'll see how training goes, but the group I train with takes a 1 minute walk every 15 minutes during long runs.

June 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Ugh. That stinks. I would say you should check out the run/walk. It just might help!

June 3, 2009 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope the knees start to feel better!

June 3, 2009 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Running and living said...

I saw the article and had similar thoughts. Not for me! I like my running plain, no walking on the side:)
I hope the knee gets better. I am a true believe in identifying the cause of an injury rather than resting only, because if you only rest, then you'll get the same injury when you get back to running. I am speaking from (unfortunate) experience. Is it too much running, too fast running, wrong shoes, not enought strenths training? Whatever it is, a sports doc may have some good insights. Good luck, Ana-Maria

June 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

I've thought about toying with gallowalking myself. Still trying to decide which method to use for my next marathon.

June 5, 2009 at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home