Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lost

This has never happened to me before, but recently my Garmin has given me errors when I've plugged it into my computer. Tonight I received the same error message, but upon attempting to sync up the run that I had just completed mysteriously disappeared. Checking the watch produced the same miserable result, even though after finishing my run I checked out the final pace and time, and I sure as hell know I ran. Anyway, I hope that this doesn't become an ongoing problem because I like my stats...

The run, without any proof, was nice and slow. I wanted to protect the knee, which was still feeling a bit off, and I also figured I'd try to run in the low heart rate range after reading somewhere that my typical Zone 3 workout (140-160bpm) was not only to be avoided, but to be avoided ALWAYS. I have to do more reading on this, but for tonight it was good to stay below 140bpm the entire way. In fact it was a good source of motivation and I really didn't care about my pace at all. Whenever my heart rate would trickle up to 140bpm I would immediately slow it down a bit.

In the end I managed 8km in (what I remember from the watch) 49:27 for an average pace of 6:10/km (9:55/mile). I definitely held the heart rate in the mid 130s, and the knee was tight but felt better than two days ago. My worries are now transferred from my knee to my Garmin...

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

Garmin customer service? I hear they're good!

June 4, 2009 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

Try updating the firmware.

June 4, 2009 at 3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had problems with my Garmin in the past. Actually, I had to return it twice. The gave me new ones both times.

June 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger Vava said...

Andrew: Thanks for the tip. I updated both the firmware on the watch and the Training Centre software this morning. Hoping that stops the problem for recurring.

D10: Man, oh Man! I'm sorry to hear that you've had multiple issues with your watch that required returns and exchanges. I really really hope that I don't have to do that! Thanks though.

June 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

Sorry to hear about your Garmin troubles. I hope that doesn't persist. I like my stats too!

June 4, 2009 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

Garmin is infallible. Retract your statements please.

I always seem to be suffering from cement knees lately. Perhaps I should stop running on...cement.

June 4, 2009 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have had that same issue before and updating did the trick.

June 4, 2009 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

I thought for a second from the title, that the Garmin had misdirected you to run on the beaches of a mysterious island...

June 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

OH NOOOOOOO, a run without the trusted Garmie! How did you stand it?? LOL....

sometimes 'just a run' is really good for the brain, body and soul...

June 4, 2009 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Laurel: I had the Garmin with me on the run, and the results were as stated in the post, but when I hooked it up to my laptop my run had mysteriously disappeared! All the others that I hadn't deleted were still there, but this one was gone. Totally weird. At least I looked through the run stats while walking home so I knew how I did, but it still is a pain. Thanks for the comment!

June 4, 2009 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you got good advice from above. You might also want to try resetting the Garmin and see if that helps.

June 4, 2009 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Chad: I looked into resetting the Garmin, but I don't think what I did actually reset the watch since my profile was still saved. Any tips on how to actually do a complete reset?

June 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home