Monday, June 15, 2009

Week 2 Starts Off Slow

So, I officially finished Week 1 of my marathon training, and although it did not involve any speed work or real tempo runs I still call it a success. I managed to run 41km, which ended up 9km above what I set as my bare minimum. For the curious I made up the extra distance by completing the "optional" 5km run on the Monday (I don't count these runs into the projected weekly total mileage), being forced to extend a 10km run up by a couple of kilometres in order to get home in time for Mon to leave for work on time, and then running an extra couple of kilometres on my long slow run yesterday since I was feeling alright to do so. I recognize that even this weekly mileage is on the low side as far as marathon training goes, but I am somehow mentally more confident in being able to crack the 40k mark in the first of sixteen weeks. Here's lookin' atcha, 50k!

The second week started today with another "optional" 5km run. I call them optional only so that I don't feel too guilty if I have to miss it on account of being sore after the Sunday long run, but in reality I don't plan on missing these recovery jogs if I can help it. I think they speed up the recovery more than sitting on the couch ever could.

I ran nice and slow and kept the heart rate really low. The 5km took me 29:53 to complete for an average pace of 5:58/km (9:37/mile). The average heart rate ended up at 133bpm, which was good given the fact that it was quite warm out. I generally like the heat of summer and hope that this year is not an exception. A couple of days in real heat spent outside and I acclimatize fairly well. Bring on the heat, I say! All this "below seasonal" stuff cannot end soon enough for me.

The knees still feel tight, but I think they are slowly getting better. I am really hoping to hit the track for some mild speed work this Wednesday, but that will be up to these wonky joints. As far as the ankle goes, I haven't been talking about it at all in a long time because it seems to be holding up quite well. Part of me doesn't want to jinx it and so perhaps that explains the lack of bloggage on that subject. Here's hoping this little aside doesn't kill the plan...

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

hmm, if the lack of blogging about injuries helps keep them away then i now know what to do! LOL Nice job on the run :)

June 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Week 1 done! I am only going to say this once (in hopes not to jinx), keep icing and taking care of your joints.

June 16, 2009 at 7:27 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

Great week! Keep it up.

As for me, I'll take 'below seasonal' any day... except maybe in February. :)

June 16, 2009 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger yumke said...

What heart rate you aiming for? I do daily (non recovery) runs around the high 140s. Have fun ramping up the mileage.

June 16, 2009 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

great job! keep up the good work. It's a long haul but it'll be worth it in the end, trust me!

June 16, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home