Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Slight Scare

My usual Wednesday evening run has not been posted. Why? Well, that's the subject of this here post...

Yesterday morning started off like any other. Drag myself out of bed twenty minutes later than I'd intended, do the whole morning getting-ready-for-work-herding-kids-off-to-school routine, only to be greeted by said "slight scare" while en route to Owen's school bus. We were walking along, happily chatting and keeping a relatively brisk pace since I didn't want to have to deal with missing that bus. Everything was cool. As we neared the one major intersection that we have to cross on our way I noticed the light had changed to get us across. Given that this particular traffic light takes a long time to let people cross the major street I said, "Owen, let's make this light!" and he started running. I, too, started what I would describe at best as a trot when, on the second or third step, PPPPRRRAAAAANNNNGGGGGG! A pop in the right knee that was NOT good. I hobbled the rest of the way across and wondered what on earth all of this would mean for my marathon training. Sure, I've been dealing with numerous repetitive stress types aches and pains, but this was not one of those. This was what I guess you can call "acute". Nothing "cute" about it though...

So, no Wednesday night run. I did consider it, but then thought better of it. It's week 2 of marathon training! I don't want to miss any time at all, but if I have to I guess the beginning is better than towards the end. I iced and compressed, took some Ibuprofen against my better judgement (I hate taking pain killers), and kept my fingers crossed for the best.

Today, the knee feels way better and I hope that this was nothing more than a scare. I am planning to run tomorrow, though nothing speedy as originally I had wanted to do a tempo like thing.

I did swim today though. Again, I shook things up a bit and did the following:

500m warm up (7:12)
10X100m on 1:40 interval (managed between 17s and 20s rest each time)
500m cool down
total time of workout: 34:00

Not bad. Though a dude in the same lane told me that I should pass "on the outside". I gave him the old raised eyebrow, didn't have time to set him straight since this happened in the middle of my intervals, and kept going. Did he seriously want me to pass on the lane rope side? The words "douche" and "bag" come to mind... (also, "rookie", "novice", and "jackass"). I had no problems with this guy otherwise since he at least swam straight, but I guess he felt the need to edumacate me on the ins and outs of lane etiquette. Just wish he'd looked up the rules first...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

Hope your knee is OK - swimming is a great alternative though!

June 18, 2009 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

geezzz you scared me, I thought I was going to read that you or Owen had been hit crossing the road!

Sorry to hear about your knee, get it checked. Good job swimming, wish I lived closer to a pool.

June 19, 2009 at 6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your poor knee. Definitely take it easy and keep icing. Rather take it easy in the beginning than not be able to run later. Nice swim.

June 19, 2009 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

One thing you'll notice in training for the marathon is every bump and bruise is magnafied.
It's probably nothing, but if you felt it, take it easy.
Wait until you taper, it'll drive you insane!

June 19, 2009 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

For some reason I thought you were going to say that you guys almost got hit by a car or something! Eek!

Glad the knee is feeling better already. Take it easy and hopefully nothing like THAT will happen again.

June 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger Bert said...

Dude! the way that was written I thought this was going to end on a disaster, although the 'minor' in the headline was a clue. Knee pops are never good, but it seems to be responding well. As for the guy giving you a lecture, 'a' hole also comes to mind. But jackass pretty much sums it up.

June 19, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home