Friday, June 19, 2009

The Things We Do To Run

This may not count as anything all that crazy, in fact I think it's kind of normal, but as I was preparing for my evening run I had this thought that runners do a lot of stuff that the average person would shake their head at and wonder why it's even close to being worth it. What was it that I was doing, you might be wondering? Well...



Thaaaaaat's right! Shaving my knee. Oh yeah! Nothing like a hairless patch on a gimpy limb. Of course, I was doing this because my recent knee pain has lead me back to the good ole taping job that kept me on the road throughout the winter. I guess whatever muscles I had strengthened enough to let me forget about taping for the past two months have once more weakened and I have to get back on that wobble board.

Anyway, here's a weird looking after shot:


And that's another thing that made me laugh. Not only was I shaving my knee, I was also snapping photos of this non-event! And now I share them with you. Feel free to laugh and comment about just how stupid this seems. Or perhaps share something strange that you've done, or currently do, that allows you to keep doing the thing you love: run. I'd love to read about it.

So, yes, hairless knee and tape and I was off on my run. The joint actually held up better than I expected and so I just kept right on running along merrily, all the while thinking just how nice it is to be able to do this. Aches, pains, strains, and all those things are just signposts along the way. Thinking back to the state I was in two years ago, when walking to the corner store was an act of will and painful as all hell, makes me laugh at these ailments. Wouldn't trade this for the world.

Anyway, I managed 12km in a steady 1:06:07 for an average pace of 5:30/km (8:52/mile). The heart rate averaged out at 143bpm, and that felt fine. In fact, the run felt easier than the heart rate indicates, which is likely the result of the humid and relatively warm conditions. As I entered Taylor Creek Park at about the fourth kilometre I was disappointed to find the water fountain located there out of commission. By the time I got home I was totally parched. I also ran a slightly different route on account of the clouds of black flies on the trail and retraced my steps from the very first run I did with the Garmin last year when I got lost in this residential section. I didn't repeat that mistake tonight and got home just fine.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home