Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Canada Day!

A short post for Canada Day since I managed to get a run in this morning, and the rest of the day will likely be fairly busy what with the little ones all jazzed about our country's Birthday and all.

I couldn't find the tape I use to support my knee as I rummaged through my stuff this morning and was a bit hesitant to go running at all without it. However, with stores being closed today, I didn't want to let this little oversight keep me from my run. I figured I could just go for an easy run and forget doing any speed work if my knee was feeling off. I did skip Monday's easy recovery run partly because we were travelling that day, and partly because I thought that my knee could use the rest after a milestone week as far as mileage went. As result, I had no idea how my body would react and headed out nice and easy.

I ran towards the Canal and slowly started loosening up. By the time I hit the path that runs beside the Canal I decided that I would try and do some faster 1k intervals with easy 1k recovery jogs in between. No real plan, just go faster than 10k race pace was what I was hoping for. I guess that was a good goal because in the end I had a great run. The intervals looked like this:

  1. 4:15.93 (6:51/mile)
  2. 4:06.55 (6:36/mile)
  3. 4:07.43 (6:38/mile)
  4. 4:05.59 (6:35/mile)
It was definitely a tough workout, and the pacing in the recovery jogs just kept getting slower and slower, but I'm glad that I was able to do some speed work after all. In the end the entire run amounted to 10km in 53:41.34 for an average pace of 5:22/km (8:38/mile). Next up is a tempo run on Friday. This run also puts me over 600km for the year, which is nice. I should be well over 700km by the end of July if things go as planned.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

Great run, Happy Canada Day Vava!

July 1, 2009 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

Great intervals! Doesn't look like it was a problem without the tape. Happy (belated) Canada Day!

July 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home