Friday, July 31, 2009

Changed and Waiting

So, I am taking a bit of a "forced hiatus". I will not be running until my calf heals. Also, I am now committed to running the Half-Marathon at this years Toronto Waterfront event on September 27th instead of the Marathon that I was originally hoping to complete. This loftier goal will have to wait until next year, giving me ample time to begin another training program with a much better base than the one I had starting the current regimen in early June. (Looking back on the numbers, I did not run nearly enough in April (105km) and May (64km) and perhaps that's why my calf self-destructed in the last week or so.)

That being said, I think what I am suffering from is a mild grade 2 calf strain. I do not feel pain low in the leg (which would indicate a torn Achilles) and I do not have any visible swelling or bruising (which would indicate a grade 3 strain), but I do have pain when walking (so that means it's not a grade 1 strain). According to what I've been reading this will take up to two weeks to clear up, and so I am going to wait patiently. Until then I will likely have little to say on this blog, and will take the time to pick up a few other things that I've been neglecting:
  • Hip Flexor and Ass strengthening exercises (to get rid of this pesky runner's knee once and for all)
  • Core strength (for this, too, has fallen off the map)
  • Push Ups (can't believe I was able to do 100 in a row at one point!)
  • Chin Ups (never got to that magical 20 in a row mark, but want to work towards that goal again)
All of that should make for a happier return to training. I have exactly two months to prepare for the race. I want to run this thing well, and the distance is no longer daunting, so as long as I'm healthy I should have a good shot at a decent result. I will continue to bike every day to work and back and use that as an opportunity to cross train. Though I haven't been in the pool since the middle of June I think I might also have to spend the cash necessary to get my membership renewed and get back at it. (Just have to find some money somewhere... Better check under those couch cushions and mattresses again.)

To cheer me up a bit I fall back on the numbers from the past month. In July I managed a total of 179.85km, which is a record for me. The first week of the month I set a new weekly milestone with 51km, and was on track to crush it during the last week. Small victories, but victories all the same.

Cheers! Enjoy the long weekend (if you are Canadian and get Monday off)! I'm heading out of town, will not be running, but rather trying to forget that sad sad fact. I'll also be seeing the same massage therapist that has helped me through numerous issues over the past few years, including a similar calf injury sustained last March.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think taking some time off will be the best thing for your leg. Take things easy and let us know how the leg is healing.

August 1, 2009 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Let yourself heal and then you can get back at it.

The Waterfront Half is nice plus it is flat, take your time and enjoy it....

August 5, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home