Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Another Short Test

Seems like every run I do these days becomes a test of how the body, and more specifically the knees, will hold up. Tonight was no exception as I got out after dark for a late run. I had eaten a big dinner a couple of hours prior to heading out and didn't know how that would sit, but I really just wanted to go slow so I figured that, if anything, the full stomach would force me to stick with the plan.

I had been out for another rollerblade last night and my legs were a bit tight, especially in the hips. That's the spot that has to work to keep my knees from taking the brunt of each step's impact so, if anything, I was hoping I could feel those glute meds working.

For some reason I wanted a nice controlled environment to run on and headed towards the track. It's a familiar place now and I do all of the rollerblading there. No traffic, no unexpected holes in surface, so little chance of accidents. Given that it was dark I didn't want to risk doing something stupid.

I ran really easy and managed a total of 8km in 47:12 for an average pace of 5:54/km (9:29/mile). A couple of kilometres I picked up the pace a little into the 5:30s/km, but other than that it was all pretty steady around the 6:00/km mark. The heart rate definitely shows this to have been an easy run, coming in at 138bpm average.

It just remains to be seen how the knees feel tomorrow. A week ago I had a good run and felt fine afterwards only to wake up the next morning to really bad pain in both patellar tendons. Here's hoping...

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Running and living said...

I had runner's knee (both knees) but swimming and biking helped tremendously; I only have the pain now when I go down the stairs after a long run. Did you ever get a diagnoses for your knees?

August 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

My knee seems to have been helped by the regular stretches and strength training exercises I was shown. I don't think I was as far along as you are. Hopefully there will be more passed "tests" soon!

August 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

Hope you woke up with no pain!

September 1, 2009 at 4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home